PDA

View Full Version : new to me 1989 535i - questions

nigel gardiner
07-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Hi all
Have just bought a 1989 535i with supposedly 520000 kms on the clock.
It looks v tidy and drives very well, it's obviously had a lot of work done to it over time, most recently new shocks and bushes etc, brake rotors and head gasket.
Am awaiting the previous owner to send receipts and log of past work.

I have a few questions for starters - any advice much appreciated.

The odometer has stopped at 300000, previous owner has been using trip meter to log mileage. Is there any way to get the odometer to go again or is it common for them to just stop?

The red light on the fuel gauge flashes on with the gauge reading 1/4 tank, is it likely the gauge is faulty and reading higher levels than present?

When I lock the door either with the key or the fob (uniden) it locks then unlocks and I have to lock it again every time ditto unlock. Any ideas?

thanks in advance
Nigel.

myles
07-04-2011, 02:56 AM
Hi Nigel

Welcome to the group. Hope you enjoy your new machine as much as I do with mine.

Have a look at this for all your answers about the odometer - BMW E32 - 299960 (http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/299960/299960.html)

My fuel gauge does the same thing. I've found that the fault is with the sender which some people find that cleaning help, but didn't do much for me. I've lived with it for years, but intend to replace the sender one day.

The lock unlock issue is typical when there is a problem with either one of the lock actuators or wiring for the locks.

Bruno
07-12-2011, 10:15 AM
The lock unlock problem is probably the electrical wires that are going along the trunk arm, remove the left arm plastic protection and you will see a bunch of wires, remove the "hockey tape" then look for broken wire insulation, I am sure you have a short there.

Cut and fix with new wire the section that is broken up, solder them up if you can with heat shrink.

Tiger
07-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Can't do much on odometer... it is just the way it is.

Lock is just like Bruno said.

Fuel gauge... get a new sender or another used one with less mileage.

Bruno
07-12-2011, 10:40 AM
For the odometer, you can change the coding plug or the whole cluster.
I am going to play around with clusters on my car to see the effect of different clusters and OBC

Tiger
07-12-2011, 11:04 AM
ahh... to a lower or zero reading... but cannot go past 300K mark. It is really silly of BMW and VDO to assume people won't keep the car past 300K.

Bruno
07-12-2011, 11:20 AM
They corrected it in later E34 years... and they also removed some options from the 1989 cars like the rear reading lights.
Our cars have their quirks, but still better than a 14 hour job to change a clutch on a mini cooper where the whole drivetrain, front end and driver fender has to be removed...

nigel gardiner
07-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi All

yeah I've looked at the trunk loom, it's been repaired before and that all looked good, I pulled as much of the tape off in both directions as I could to check further and it all looked good.
So still trying to track this problem down. I can't unlock the car from passenger door, nor do a resync. I can't lock the car from the trunk either.
I'm going to check fuse#31 (i think that's it) under rear seat but other than that am at a loss as to where best to look next?

Still this is a minor niggle in an otherwise great car.

nigel gardiner
07-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Oh, in case it matters, this a u.k spec car now living in N.Z

nigel gardiner
07-13-2011, 12:46 AM
checked the fuse 31 or 32 under rear seat, this was blown and also the A5 relay module was slightly dislodged. replaced fuse and firmly lodged the relay module. All locking functions normally now. Apart from passenger door lock, the key will not unlock from outside nor will re sync work. but i can live with this for the time being.