PDA

View Full Version : 525i steering question

Russell
07-02-2011, 09:44 AM
I jacked up driver's front of the car to change my oil. The passenger front wheel was still on ground.

I noticed I was able to move driver’s side wheel laterally 1/8” to1/4". Do I have steering issues? If so what components are likely worn? I suspect tie rods and center link.

I do seem to have more wandering than I like. This car has 202,000 miles with the original steering components. Struts and upper control arms have been replaced.

whiskychaser
07-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Putting the steering lock on might help you isolate the problem but I think you need an assistant to wiggle the road wheel while you look where the play is. Normally they use a pry bar to check the joints so I'm surprised you can do this by hand. Hopefully it isnt the bearing but a tie rod or bottom control arm joint. No sign of uneven tyre wear or the car pulling to that side?

Russell
07-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Putting the steering lock on might help you isolate the problem but I think you need an assistant to wiggle the road wheel while you look where the play is. Normally they use a pry bar to check the joints so I'm surprised you can do this by hand. Hopefully it isnt the bearing but a tie rod or bottom control arm joint. No sign of uneven tyre wear or the car pulling to that side?

Thanks. No sign of pulling and uneven tire wear. Just what I consider wandering. I think I will take it to my indy and/or suspension shop for further analysis.

Grantus
07-02-2011, 06:47 PM
If you grasp the top and bottom of the wheel and are able to push it in or out while on the jack, it can be a sign of wheelbearings needing to be tightened or replaced.

Bruno
07-18-2011, 05:19 AM
Works great on other cars but I find that with a worn bearing you will get noises before you get some play.

What you need to do is jack up both sides, wiggle the wheel and see if the other wheel is moving also. Do the same on the other side.
Worn steering components are easy to detect as they will show signs of play.

If you grasp the top and bottom of the wheel and are able to push it in or out while on the jack, it can be a sign of wheelbearings needing to be tightened or replaced.

Russell
07-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Works great on other cars but I find that with a worn bearing you will get noises before you get some play.

What you need to do is jack up both sides, wiggle the wheel and see if the other wheel is moving also. Do the same on the other side.
Worn steering components are easy to detect as they will show signs of play.

would that be tthe same as one front wheel on the ground and wiggle the raised wheel? i did that and detected a bit of movement in the raised wheel and none on the 'grounded' wheel.

Bruno
07-18-2011, 01:25 PM
IF one wheel is moving and not the other then you must have some play in one of the steering component.
Do the same (with a jack stand firmly under the car please) and while you move the wheel look at all the ball joints on the steering linkages (tie rods, center link, pitman arm), that will help you locate the problem.

Bill R.
07-19-2011, 12:15 AM
If you get a second person to help it makes it easier, With one tire on the ground like you had it. Have another person wiggle the tire thats up in the air back and forth while you look at and put your hand on each tie rod end, the ball joint on the center link and pittman arm where it pivots ,checking for movement or play.

jasper6bears
07-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Hello

I have 525i Touring E34 - dropped my steering box which will not adjust anymore? Noticed the pitman arm moves slightly side to side on splines.

I am assuming its had its day? I am going to change the arm and while its off get the Steering Box overhauled.

Anyone esle had play on the Pitman/Steering Box joint?

Cheers

Russell
07-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Hello

I have 525i Touring E34 - dropped my steering box which will not adjust anymore? Noticed the pitman arm moves slightly side to side on splines.

I am assuming its had its day? I am going to change the arm and while its off get the Steering Box overhauled.

Anyone esle had play on the Pitman/Steering Box joint?

Cheers

Where are you getting the steering box overhauled? I have thought that the box was a issue.

jasper6bears
07-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the reply

I am over in London UK - a couple of places here appx £200 and a couple of days.

Definitely Pitman Arm moving on spline, but getting box overhauled anyhow - car is 18yrs old and 120,000 miles.

New pitman ordered as well - I do not want this job twice!!!

cheers

jasper6bears
07-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Hello

Any ideas?

Steering box now overhauled - ordered up a Pitman arm from BMW Dealership part number - 32 21 1 137 467 should be 30mm diameter. Came back 28mm with that part number - they do not know what its all about? Seems 28MM and 30MM parts has same part number

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Tim UK

Bill R.
07-29-2011, 11:16 PM
I didn't find a single 28mm pittman arm in the etk. All of them are 30 mm, 5/7 and 8 series using usa specs and ece specs for left and right hand drive. All the same part number as you have

jasper6bears
07-30-2011, 02:15 AM
Hello Thanks

Have a look for this on old part number 32 21 1 134 126 on ETK (28mm)

Curious?

Thanks UK