PDA

View Full Version : New keys

Ferrett 1962
06-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Does amyone know where I can get cheaper keys made or more to the point I want a new remote for my spare key. BMW want $628 AU for a replacement key with remote, I just want my wife to have a spare key but the owners manual tells me the only way to turn the alarm off is with the remote or sit in the car for 15 min ( 30 sec with the alarm screaming) to use the spare key and the stealers say there is no aftermarket available but there has to be one that works.

Bimmer Nut Ed
06-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Well, I prolly can't help, but maybe just don't arm the alarm. Lock with the key only.

Russell
07-01-2011, 12:31 PM
in the US the key cost about $40 US from a dealer. The seperate remote is about $120 US from the dealer if available. Not sure you have the same security system in AU. There are soem e34s in the US that have the security system lock/unlock built into the key.

As for try seperate remote. Try e-bay. I bought 2 for $30 US and reprogramed them myself from my owner's manual.

Hope tis is helpful and good luck.

Ferrett 1962
07-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Thanks Russell , do you know the sellers name I did a search and all I found were a lot of empty shells for my own internals or blank keys with no electronics in to replace an old key again with my own internal bits

Russell
07-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Sorry, It has been at least a couple of years and I tossed out any paperwork I may have had. This was the rectangular black remote with three buttons. I hope this is the type you need.

At one time, there was another non BMW supplier of these types of remotes. It was not shaped like the BMW remote but had the same functions. You might search for BMW alarm systems by year of your car. That might get hits.