PDA

View Full Version : help diagnosing door lock problem....

motuman
06-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Here is my variation of the door lock problem on my '95 540 M-Sport:

* I can't lock or unlock the doors by turning the key in the drivers door.
* When I turn the key in the drivers door I can't feel any resistance, but the key will sometimes bind before it gets back to 90 degrees and I can't remove the key without "wiggling it out".
* I can lock and unlock all doors with from the passenger side door and by using the remote
* I can't lock or unlock the doors from the truck, but it will lock and unlock the trunk.
* Just starting to get the "bounce back" problem. I try to lock the doors with the remote and the doors will automatically unlock. I think the drivers door is failing to lock when this happens.

This sounds like a failing drivers door lock actuator to me, except for the key sticking in the drivers lock cylinder and the trunk being unable to lock/unlock all doors. (Or maybe the trunk doesn't lock/unlock all doors on the '95?).

Any thoughts on this problem?

PS - Isn't VDO the OEM manufacturer of the lock actuator? The stealer list for the actuator is $106, getbmwparts.com has it for $85, but there is a guy on e-bay selling VDO actuators for $50.

shogun
06-23-2011, 05:47 PM
I assume you have a broken wire loom, usually in driver side door from A-pillar to door
Example, here the repair on E32 door
Reparatur meiner Türkabelbäume. (http://www.7-forum.com/forum/24/reparatur-meiner-tuerkabelbaeume-114388.html)

motuman
06-23-2011, 06:06 PM
I assume you have a broken wire loom, usually in driver side door from A-pillar to door
Example, here the repair on E32 door
Reparatur meiner Türkabelbäume. (http://www.7-forum.com/forum/24/reparatur-meiner-tuerkabelbaeume-114388.html)

Hey, that's a thought, thanks!

My door brake recently seized and broke the metal in that area (typical e34 door brake failure)
Have you ever heard of the door brake problem causing damage to the wire loom?

shogun
06-24-2011, 04:23 AM
just check the wires, wire loom problem on driver door or on the Touring on the rear door are quite common.

motuman
06-24-2011, 11:19 AM
just check the wires, wire loom problem on driver door or on the Touring on the rear door are quite common.

Thanks again...

Does anyone have link to photos and/or directions for removing the loom on the e34?
My set-up looks a little different, and I don't read german too well....:)