PDA

View Full Version : Nikasil

spitfire
06-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Anyone out there have problem free Nikasil's? If so, any idea's on why? My 95 540/6 has 147.000kms with no problems so far. (touch wood)
Spitfire.

Tiger
06-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Mine is still running 94

Rich in Sandy Ego
06-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Unless you make your own sulfur-free gas, it's just a matter of time. My 94 finally lost the head gasket at 93,000 miles, mostly freeway. All top-grade California gas, too. The idle is just bumpy for a while until the cylinder wall degradation just gets to be too much and the rear cylinders start leaking badly.
I was lucky and found a low-mileage factory replacement engine to swap. There are no more factory blocks available, they were $10k US anyway.
Another option when the time comes is the machine shop in Sacramento that does steel cylinder liner replacements. They claim to have had very good luck.

http://www.bmrparts.com/engine1a.htm

At least you can be sure that the car is worth a new engine. It's just disappointing that BMW allowed this whole Nikasil debacle to happen. Their engines are supposed to be untouchable!!!

Tiger
06-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Whatever... don't care.

DueyT
06-16-2004, 10:11 PM
No probs!

Just because folks run Premium, doesn't guarantee low sulphur. Personally, I worry less about the issue than I do about getting my car written off by being hit by some idiot not paying attention to what he's doing on the road.

Jeff and I like the smell of Nikel in the morning! :D

Cheers,
Duey

MBXB
06-17-2004, 01:13 AM
144K miles and no problems whatsoever. it's been a FL car its entire life. If it hasn't happened by now, I don't think it ever will.

Mike 'n AZ
06-17-2004, 01:32 AM
That's some scary news Rich. I have a '94 540i with 112,000 miles on it from southern california. I bought it about a year ago and now have it in Arizona. It runs totally fine (I think). -- Mike

Sweetwater
06-17-2004, 09:24 AM
Bought a '95 530i 10 weeks ago. 62K miles now (that's why I bought it). Just a joy and the engine runs like a top.

The sulfur content of US gasoline has been more strictly regulated since the mid 90's and if your block hasn't yet deteriorated, it's less and less likely to be exposed to high sulfur. Unless you're buying Shell gasoline in the deep South, but then your fuel guage will have been destroyed first.

Bill R.
06-17-2004, 09:31 AM
sulfur levels still haven't changed much since the mid nineties in most of the US.... and Rich had a california car that has always had low sulfur gas since the early nineties... less than 30ppm if i recall... one tenth of the national average.

Bought a '95 530i 10 weeks ago. 62K miles now (that's why I bought it). Just a joy and the engine runs like a top.

The sulfur content of US gasoline has been more strictly regulated since the mid 90's and if your block hasn't yet deteriorated, it's less and less likely to be exposed to high sulfur. Unless you're buying Shell gasoline in the deep South, but then your fuel guage will have been destroyed first.

Sweetwater
06-17-2004, 12:04 PM
sulfur levels still haven't changed much since the mid nineties in most of the US.... and Rich had a california car that has always had low sulfur gas since the early nineties... less than 30ppm if i recall... one tenth of the national average.

I beg to differ. Regulations have changed significantly. If sulfur is the culprit rather than poor block manufacture, the sulfur content of US gasoline has decreased significantly.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/gasoline.htm

http://www.epa.gov/tier2/

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels.htm

With Rich's CA car, I think the 30 ppm you quoted is correct. I recall that the national standard is now down to 100 ppm vs the older 500 ppm or greater that existed. BUT, we can't have it both ways. Is the nikasil problem created by sulfur erosion or block manufacture. BMW put the finger on sulfur content and claimed no problems with the alumisil replacements. I've always wondered what the true nikasil failure rate is, I think that is the gist of this thread.

Mine runs wonderfully and I like it.....

Edit: Just found this.....

Issue Brief

On January 1, 2004, the Tier 2 low-sulfur gasoline regulations began nationwide. The phase-in of these standards will be completed in 2006. In 2006, specifications for all gasoline content will change from the previous 500 ppm sulfur ceiling for gasoline outside of California to a required 30 ppm average and a ceiling of 80 ppm.

Warren N.CA
06-17-2004, 12:16 PM
our cars, at any time. This is how I expect my relationship with the E34 ultimately to be terminated.

No probs!

Just because folks run Premium, doesn't guarantee low sulphur. Personally, I worry less about the issue than I do about getting my car written off by being hit by some idiot not paying attention to what he's doing on the road.

Jeff and I like the smell of Nikel in the morning! :D

Cheers,
Duey

Bill R.
06-17-2004, 12:29 PM
averaging allotments for all refiners where one batch can have 300ppm as long as the average comes out to 90ppm, and the averaging applies after 2006 when tier 2 actually takes effect, since the Bush admin rolled it back till then...

I beg to differ. Regulations have changed significantly. If sulfur is the culprit rather than poor block manufacture, the sulfur content of US gasoline has decreased significantly.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/gasoline.htm

http://www.epa.gov/tier2/

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels.htm

With Rich's CA car, I think the 30 ppm you quoted is correct. I recall that the national standard is now down to 100 ppm vs the older 500 ppm or greater that existed. BUT, we can't have it both ways. Is the nikasil problem created by sulfur erosion or block manufacture. BMW put the finger on sulfur content and claimed no problems with the alumisil replacements. I've always wondered what the true nikasil failure rate is, I think that is the gist of this thread.

Mine runs wonderfully and I like it.....

Edit: Just found this.....

Issue Brief

On January 1, 2004, the Tier 2 low-sulfur gasoline regulations began nationwide. The phase-in of these standards will be completed in 2006. In 2006, specifications for all gasoline content will change from the previous 500 ppm sulfur ceiling for gasoline outside of California to a required 30 ppm average and a ceiling of 80 ppm.

632 Regal
06-17-2004, 12:43 PM
Ahhhh the sweet smell of Nikasil in the morning...mmmmm.

The folks that dont have them just have no clue about it, it's like the smell of a sweet woman you long for, necter in the morning, a fresh flower, a sweet summer breeze, the buttery taste of a fresh taco.... damn I kinda like getting divorced again....mmmmmm

http://www.thecitypress.com/bmw6.jpg

ian w
06-17-2004, 06:47 PM
I have a 94 m/60 530 auto thats has 170,000 on it , the idles lumpy, but so what it, still does what it was made for and performs when asked.
My wife says our Renault is possessed! its a 2003 and got 8,000 but revs itself (ecu) silly, at inappropriate times, the fix costs £££ and it's good for her driving skills anyway.
My 99 323i keeps falling off the road and costs a fortune to repair.

The ford,gm,jap,cars my company keeps giving me are made of paper mache, they buy em, use em , then throw them away.
If you buy an e34 instead of a new ford, gm, citroen ,renault,jap, as main transport you will pay the purchase price saving on maintenance.
The only gaurentee with an e34 is thats it's old.

A new short block in England will cost £1,500(about 5 billion dollars) but these cars cost £40,000 (about a million billion dollars) new. so as the honest salesman who sold me mine said " this car will stop you drinking".

I don't want to put anybody off because if you really like cars the m60 is auto heaven, it is the best part of the car and in the uk where v8s are rare a cheap way to get the fun , but it will reach into your pocket every month.
"M60 at full chat, no radio required" v "fishing/gambling/drinking" is the best way to view this v8.

If your on a budget , spend it on the morgage or spend it on a v8.

No brainer really.

632 Regal
06-17-2004, 11:16 PM
Id have to look back but since I bought mine 22ooo miles ago besides tires I only spent abou a grand or maybe 2k i dont know, not a bad price including tires for a 10 year old car as far as im concerned. Besides the bitches dig it. nothing can compare to that.

DueyT
06-18-2004, 12:17 AM
I have a 94 m/60 530 auto thats has 170,000 on it , the idles lumpy, but so what it, still does what it was made for and performs when asked.
My wife says our Renault is possessed! its a 2003 and got 8,000 but revs itself (ecu) silly, at inappropriate times, the fix costs £££ and it's good for her driving skills anyway.
My 99 323i keeps falling off the road and costs a fortune to repair.

The ford,gm,jap,cars my company keeps giving me are made of paper mache, they buy em, use em , then throw them away.
If you buy an e34 instead of a new ford, gm, citroen ,renault,jap, as main transport you will pay the purchase price saving on maintenance.
The only gaurentee with an e34 is thats it's old.

A new short block in England will cost £1,500(about 5 billion dollars) but these cars cost £40,000 (about a million billion dollars) new. so as the honest salesman who sold me mine said " this car will stop you drinking".

I don't want to put anybody off because if you really like cars the m60 is auto heaven, it is the best part of the car and in the uk where v8s are rare a cheap way to get the fun , but it will reach into your pocket every month.
"M60 at full chat, no radio required" v "fishing/gambling/drinking" is the best way to view this v8.

If your on a budget , spend it on the morgage or spend it on a v8.

No brainer really.
Actually Ian, I think that getting 28 mpg(Imp)/24mpg(US)/10.2L/100km on mostly highway (some city) for my 95 540 is pretty darned good. EAT chip definitely helps.

If you guys think the M60 eats gas/petrol, try and guess what this beast eat's...http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/cheesy.gif

Duey's other ride...not the TDI Jetta! (http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/440.au) [Hint: don't stop counting at 7200cc's]

Cheers,
Duey

Sweetwater
06-18-2004, 11:29 AM
averaging allotments for all refiners where one batch can have 300ppm as long as the average comes out to 90ppm, and the averaging applies after 2006 when tier 2 actually takes effect, since the Bush admin rolled it back till then...

Bill, I kept reading and I only found 3 small refiners who have been granted exceptions to the current standards. Are you paranoid about this or just trying to foment paranoia.....? Interesting to me only in that a small Wyoming refiner was granted exception. My nikasil cranked up smoothly again this morning and gave me great performance as I drove it. BTW, those motorcycle motors, at least on the R series are also nikasil and those bikes are notorious for their longevity and performance. I think I'll take mine for a ride later. :D

Bill R.
06-18-2004, 11:57 AM
search capabilities of the internet... the info is out there regarding sulfur levels on a state by state basis.. and i have posted this and links in the past., Here and on the old site and on roadfly you'll find my previous and many other peoples posts on it... You can delude yourself in any way you choose... I am only posting responses to this when i see people claiming that if you haven't had the problem yet then you won't... And this is posted fairly often. My intent is to help prevent any potential new buyers of a nikasil from the wrong conclusion about buying one of these.
Even Mike Miller in the may2004 issue of Roundel made a statement about the nikasil motors after someone in a previous issue had gotten the impression that all was ok...
The motorcycle issue is old news too and you should already know bmw's explanation for why the bikes didn't have that problem and what they did to the dme reprogramming to the cars to try to prevent it from happening

Bill, I kept reading and I only found 3 small refiners who have been granted exceptions to the current standards. Are you paranoid about this or just trying to foment paranoia.....? Interesting to me only in that a small Wyoming refiner was granted exception. My nikasil cranked up smoothly again this morning and gave me great performance as I drove it. BTW, those motorcycle motors, at least on the R series are also nikasil and those bikes are notorious for their longevity and performance. I think I'll take mine for a ride later. :D

spitfire
06-18-2004, 12:11 PM
search capabilities of the internet... the info is out there regarding sulfur levels on a state by state basis.. and i have posted this and links in the past., Here and on the old site and on roadfly you'll find my previous and many other peoples posts on it... You can delude yourself in any way you choose... I am only posting responses to this when i see people claiming that if you haven't had the problem yet then you won't... And this is posted fairly often. My intent is to help prevent any potential new buyers of a nikasil from the wrong conclusion about buying one of these.
Even Mike Miller in the may2004 issue of Roundel made a statement about the nikasil motors after someone in a previous issue had gotten the impression that all was ok...
The motorcycle issue is old news too and you should already know bmw's explanation for why the bikes didn't have that problem and what they did to the dme reprogramming to the cars to try to prevent it from happening

spitfire
06-18-2004, 12:12 PM
What did Mike Miller say in the Ronudel about Nikasil?

G Feller
06-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Which will always be a good thing for Nikasil owners, LOL (because if the issue went away, that would mean your motor went away too, get it? Hyuk hyuk.). Seriously, though, those of us who--by luck or straight choice--do not have Nikasil hope that your motor runs eager and happy forever (as we hope ours does).

After reading this board pretty much daily for a year now, I have heard of only one or two current Nikasil failures. Of course, how likely is it that someone with a real nice car and a motor just starting to fail would actually say anything about it in a public forum right before they sold it?

I would like to point out something about the EPA that I believe is very clear to anyone paying attention (e.g., big power, oil, and energy companies, etc.). EPA "guidelines" or "standards" or whatever are barely enforceable by law, if at all. You have to practically pull a Valdez (or a "Shell gas in the Deep South ruining gas gauges") to get a slap on the wrist, or maybe just a dirty look. So just because the EPA has these standards for sulfur content, every big oil company voluntarily spends extra money straight out of their bottom line to make sure every last tank meets those standards? I don't know the precise figure on what percentage of gas is actually tested, but let's just say I would be even more angry with the folks in charge right now if I had a Nikasil motor.

Bill R.
06-18-2004, 12:17 PM
your Nikasil engine will wear out. But notwithstanding Noronha's letter to the editor, I cannot and do not recommend that my readers purchase a Nikasil v8 powered bmy under any circumstances. In my opinion it is asking for trouble" He had a very long response in front of that but that was his ending words.

What did Mike Miller say in the Ronudel about Nikasil?

BlondGod
06-18-2004, 12:27 PM
It sounds like a Suzuki TLR1000 hehe.. nah joking, a Charger of course!

Bill R.
06-18-2004, 12:41 PM
it posted is I keep thinking that if i was wandering through this site for the first time and I was looking at a nice 540 to buy... assuming i knew nothing at all ... Would you rather be informed about the realities of the nikasil motors so you could make an informed decision about whether to buy or not or would you rather read a number of posts from people saying how wonderful their nikasil motors are? I'd be pretty upset if i bought one after reading posts from people effusing over their nikasil motors and then it turned out to either be bad or go bad shortly after i bought it.
Virtually every person on here who has one or bought one, bought it unknowingly and then found this site or others later and discovered the nikasil issue.... I'm not trying to be a timothy I'm just trying to let potential new buyers know before they buy.... The same goes for the automatic transmission on a 540... I'd much rather know about problems before I buy then find out the hard way afterwards..
As regards the sulfur ruling.. anyone who really reads the pages and i mean all the pages posted on the epa sites will see that there's no teeth to this rule anyway and through averaging you can't tell what kind of sulfur dose you're going to get... Also since i started looking 5 years ago a very large amount of the information that was posted on the epa and other government sites regarding tier I and tier II sulfur rulings isn't there anymore.. and its much harder to find the info on state by state levels of sulfur

Which will always be a good thing for Nikasil owners, LOL (because if the issue went away, that would mean your motor went away too, get it? Hyuk hyuk.). Seriously, though, those of us who--by luck or straight choice--do not have Nikasil hope that your motor runs eager and happy forever (as we hope ours does).

After reading this board pretty much daily for a year now, I have heard of only one or two current Nikasil failures. Of course, how likely is it that someone with a real nice car and a motor just starting to fail would actually say anything about it in a public forum right before they sold it?

I would like to point out something about the EPA that I believe is very clear to anyone paying attention (e.g., big power, oil, and energy companies, etc.). EPA "guidelines" or "standards" or whatever are barely enforceable by law, if at all. You have to practically pull a Valdez (or a "Shell gas in the Deep South ruining gas gauges") to get a slap on the wrist, or maybe just a dirty look. So just because the EPA has these standards for sulfur content, every big oil company voluntarily spends extra money straight out of their bottom line to make sure every last tank meets those standards? I don't know the precise figure on what percentage of gas is actually tested, but let's just say I would be even more angry with the folks in charge right now if I had a Nikasil motor.

Elekta
06-18-2004, 01:05 PM
As a Nikasil owner, I have to inform future buyers/lookers, that I made my purchase anyway, inspite of all the hindsight and handwringing and fatherly advise from the all knowing Maha-Alusil crowd.

I wanted the v-8. I paid between $266 and $400 per leakdown test on three different v-8 Tourings with Nik's. The one Alusil Touring I would have chosen was Green/Tan (least fave comb), had 45k on the clock and was about $8k over what I wanted to pay. Two Nik's had tolerances higher than 5% in two cylinders, so I ate the leak tests and moved on.

I bought a 58k 9/92 build Euro spec Nik. It came to the US in 98 via Jacksonville. The leakdown test showed less than 3% in each cylinder. IMO the linings were well seated, and that damage from sulphur had been avoided acceptably for this auto. It was also Silver/Black, had the integral towing, rear fogs, mechanical heated seats...

It was an informed opinion.

Granted I still spent almost $8k in the first year making it right in terms of suspension, pwr steering, valve cover gaskets, alternator, and some cosmetics etc, but I still knew what I had.....and I sleep damned well at night and confident in my motor and the gas I put in it.

I would still like to put a 3.8//m in it, so every now and then I look for EuroM5's to grab all the goodies from -- like this one that went for $5500 US (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2481586621&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1) I would love to break this out and send it over in pieces (to get it past customs)... put that motor and tranny on a stand make it pure while I wait for my Nik to fade.....

But I am still not going to lose any sleep. I am still going to tow my boat. I am still going to drive at 90 mph fully loaded (combi box, dog, clubs, kid, wife) to Houston with the AC on 3 in about an hour.

As much as I love my wagon, I'd still drive it into a ditch if it meant protecting my family. In that sense, it's still just a car.

bitches

;)

Have a good weekend, and hope your kids "treat" you right on dad's day.

Sweetwater
06-18-2004, 01:21 PM
;)

Pretty much ditto. And don't forget to give your own pops a "treat" if he's still available.

Bill R.
06-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Here.....;) (http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e34/messages01/messages/17488.html)

As a Nikasil owner, I have to inform future buyers/lookers, that I made my purchase anyway, inspite of all the hindsight and handwringing and fatherly advise from the all knowing Maha-Alusil crowd.

I wanted the v-8. I paid between $266 and $400 per leakdown test on three different v-8 Tourings with Nik's. The one Alusil Touring I would have chosen was Green/Tan (least fave comb), had 45k on the clock and was about $8k over what I wanted to pay. Two Nik's had tolerances higher than 5% in two cylinders, so I ate the leak tests and moved on.

I bought a 58k 9/92 build Euro spec Nik. It came to the US in 98 via Jacksonville. The leakdown test showed less than 3% in each cylinder. IMO the linings were well seated, and that damage from sulphur had been avoided acceptably for this auto. It was also Silver/Black, had the integral towing, rear fogs, mechanical heated seats...

It was an informed opinion.

Granted I still spent almost $8k in the first year making it right in terms of suspension, pwr steering, valve cover gaskets, alternator, and some cosmetics etc, but I still knew what I had.....and I sleep damned well at night and confident in my motor and the gas I put in it.

I would still like to put a 3.8//m in it, so every now and then I look for EuroM5's to grab all the goodies from -- like this one that went for $5500 US (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2481586621&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1) I would love to break this out and send it over in pieces (to get it past customs)... put that motor and tranny on a stand make it pure while I wait for my Nik to fade.....

But I am still not going to lose any sleep. I am still going to tow my boat. I am still going to drive at 90 mph fully loaded (combi box, dog, clubs, kid, wife) to Houston with the AC on 3 in about an hour.

As much as I love my wagon, I'd still drive it into a ditch if it meant protecting my family. In that sense, it's still just a car.

bitches

;)

G Feller
06-18-2004, 01:28 PM
I have always appreciated the articles and edjimacation you share on this issue.

If I had not known about it before finding this site, I know I would have found out here. And I would not have bought a Nikasil car.

But as I said, I do hope all our Nikasil friends here have good fortune.

Oh, and I'm glad I have a manual transmission too. :)

I keep thinking that if i was wandering through this site for the first time and I was looking at a nice 540 to buy... assuming i knew nothing at all ... Would you rather be informed about the realities of the nikasil motors so you could make an informed decision about whether to buy or not or would you rather read a number of posts from people saying how wonderful their nikasil motors are?

As regards the sulfur ruling.. anyone who really reads the pages and i mean all the pages posted on the epa sites will see that there's no teeth to this rule anyway and through averaging you can't tell what kind of sulfur dose you're going to get... Also since i started looking 5 years ago a very large amount of the information that was posted on the epa and other government sites regarding tier I and tier II sulfur rulings isn't there anymore.. and its much harder to find the info on state by state levels of sulfur

rich in san diego again
06-18-2004, 02:13 PM
My So Cal location could be misleading. I've only had the car for 2 years, buying it from a local used lot. No idea where it came from, although it seems to have been very well maintained before I got it as the body and interior are flawless. But the blowby got worse and worse over the last year, until it pretty much cooked the big plastic box of an intake manifold.
I dunno what to tell you guys except that I use nothing but Chevron.
Like the comment about Shell gas going for the gas gauge. yuk yuk.

rich in SD again again
06-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Hey guys, I really appreciate the edjimication regarding EPA rules haha. Your Gummint at work/lunch.
Quick question for you knowledgeable wrenches out there - I'm about to dive into the Nikasil/Alusil swap. Do I have to do it in two pieces (engine out the top, trans in underneath), or can I keep the old/new drivetrains in one piece and do the entire job underneath after moving the steering aside?
I can always hope.......

Thanks again all!!!

Ian w
06-18-2004, 03:38 PM
As I did prior to buying my car, lot of potential buyers find their way to this forum.

Presuming bmw offers the same service worldwide , if you are looking at a car , not just a v8 as I understand the same problem affects other engines also. Get the vin number ring bmw customer service they will tell you about any dealer work done on the car and its original spec.
If it was and still is nikasil you should probably load in £2k+ to the asking price and the risk, if you use cheap labour, of it never being write again or £3k+ for a good job.
Most likely they will tell you it's had the job done by a dealer before 100k or it was born with alusil , in which case you can just expect the normal costs associated with a car of the age and size of this one.

Service parts can be a good price, there is a lot of people keeping these cars going so all the usual places (german & swedish, europarts etc in England) do a good trade in the parts and that makes for reasonable prices.

The popularity of this forum should tell you all you need to know about how enjoyable the cars are to own.

Don,t discredit a car for a poor idle , mine's alusil , always had a lumpy idle , goes well.

632 Regal
06-18-2004, 05:22 PM
I didnt have any clue about this issue when I bought mine, when I found out about it it took me 6 months to finally get the codes off the block and another 2 weeks for me to actually look up the numbers because I couldnt sleep any more.

At first I had mixed feelings but it ran good. As time goes on I rarly even think about it either.

If I would have known about this I wouldnt have purchased the car and wouldnt have had the chance to experience what a nice car these are because I dont think I would have persued one.

I drove by the car 2 weeks before I even stopped to look at it and couldnt believe I could afford it, the intention was to clean it sell it and make some cash. Well...after new tires and thrust arms, a quick tour of Michigans UP with my kid and the way he would say "Bimmer" sold me into keeping it.

Thats my FINAL answer!

:D

632 Regal
06-18-2004, 05:36 PM
I called the local BMW dealer here and they didnt even have a record of what mileage my Nikasil was replaced with Nikasil...at least I think it was replaced. They actually didnt have much information on the car at all even when I went down there to but my antifreeze (that I havent replaced yet) they couldnt find anything on it...weird.

DueyT
06-18-2004, 06:51 PM
It sounds like a Suzuki TLR1000 hehe.. nah joking, a Charger of course!
BG, :D

Kind of funny hearing, "mine idles [Alusils or Niks] badly...etc..." and then running the Charger...with a pretty long 255/265* at 0.050 cam in it on 108* centres...half the fun is watching the whole car shake at idle! Mind you, Jeff's Regal is probably far more crazy than that!!!

Jeff, bro...you have any sound bites of the Regal idling/scaring the neighbours?:p

Cheers,
Duey

p.s. I knew exactly what I was getting in to before I bought...used it to knock many thousands of the price...turned out to be a terrific deal. I'm still convinced somebody is going to prang me (worse than the idiot that did me in the HomeDepot parking lot on day #2 of ownership, see Gallery below) long before the Nikky heart of the beast goes on it.

Ian w
06-19-2004, 05:25 PM
The number to ring for any UK cars is 01344 426565 which is BMW GB.

I was given that much info I asked her to skip the minor stuff, would n't imagine it works for cars not first registered here. I got the number from BMW GB website. US , AUS , NZ , Canada should have something similar.

That should keep em busy.

Tiger
06-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Guys... give it a rest about Nikasil...U don't like it... fine... Then how do you explain Porche using Nikasil engine in their limited edition cars that cost $400,000? I forget what model it was...

Tiger
06-19-2004, 07:54 PM
And don't every baby your Nikasil engine... it wasn't meant to be babied... The harder you drive on it... the better it will survive this problem.

Tiger
06-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Flame me... flame me... whatever...

new540iowner
06-19-2004, 09:37 PM
As it turns out, my original Nikasil block with 113K on the clock is now idling perfect thanks to a German Chip I purchased on Ebay a while back. The original chip in the car had been "reprogrammed" to run with a lower idle as it constantly idled in the 500-600 RPM range. Well, after replacing the OEM chip with the German M chip, the car idles perfectly at between 600-700 RPMs and I even got the RPM limiter removed too! For all you M60 owners out there with the "reprogrammed" OEM chip, you may want to fork over the $100 and buy the German Ebay chip as the idle fix alone is worth the money to me.

Bill R.
06-19-2004, 09:44 PM
As it turns out, my original Nikasil block with 113K on the clock is now idling perfect thanks to a German Chip I purchased on Ebay a while back. The original chip in the car had been "reprogrammed" to run with a lower idle as it constantly idled in the 500-600 RPM range. Well, after replacing the OEM chip with the German M chip, the car idles perfectly at between 600-700 RPMs and I even got the RPM limiter removed too! For all you M60 owners out there with the "reprogrammed" OEM chip, you may want to fork over the $100 and buy the German Ebay chip as the idle fix alone is worth the money to me.

new540iowner
06-20-2004, 10:55 AM
The car sounded like crap and I had to keep the A/C on just to maintain some driveability. The German Ebay chip increased the base idle by about 100 RPMs, removed the speed limiter and rev limiter (have to be careful now) and supposeably increased horsepower by 23 and torque by 25 or so.
I think Funfer had the same problem with his Alusil block so after talking with him, I figured it must be the reprogrammed chip since all gaskets, coils, injectors, MAF, PCV plate and ICV had been replaced on my car prior to the swap. For anyone else having a lumpy or low idle, I would first replace the PCV plate and gaskets, then if that didn't fix it, move on to the $100 chip.
As I recall, when BMW reprogrammed the chip they were trying to increase the temperature of the engine by running it leaner to minimize the sulfur damage to Nikasil blocks. Since you will be producing more NOx emissions with a leaner mixture, they must have lowered the idle RPM at the same time to maintain the same base emissions in the stock chip. Anyways, the German chip worked for me and hopefully it solves some other M60 owner's problem.