PDA

View Full Version : Which trannies fit my 525i?

Scottwith95
06-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Hello all,
I've got a 95 525i with 255K on it. My auto trans is acting up and - although I need to check out a few more things - I think I'm going to have to find a swap. I wouldn't rule out a manual conversion either. Which transmissions are compatible with my car? My current transmission is the automatic without the dipstick - which I think is the GM transmission. Can I swap from a 3-series? What year range can the donor trans be from?
Any information would be really helpful. Thanks in advance!
Scott

BMW4LIFE
06-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Try checking out REALOEM.com and see if the part # match.

Russell
06-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Check with a good bmw indy for rebuild options. I understand there GM made double pan tranys are not easy to rebuild. BTW this trany was used in the chevette (3 speed version?) at one time. Gives a great deal of confidence does it not? :)

There is a 95 bmw auto trany on e-bay right now in CA for about $400. Think will end in a day or so.

BTW, mine has about 201,000 on the original trany. It is often giving me a odd slightly delayed shift. So i share your concerns.

genphreak
06-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Use the original fitment. Even check the part number to be sure it is from the same Model Year. Else, MMW: things will be different. YMMV.