PDA

View Full Version : New product: Subframe stiffening plates

Bruno
06-16-2004, 05:03 PM
http://www.racingking.ca/Canada/ProdImages/Subplate.jpg

Link to see more details (http://www.racingking.ca/Canada/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=693)

Works on any E34/E32 and E32, this product is very easy to install without a lift, it is placed between the subframe mount and its bracket. It will stiffen the rear of your car and remove some bodyroll. Perfect upgrade with or without sway bars.

FREE SHIPPING. :-)

Next, I will have to inserts for 750i bushings to make them slighly stiffer and make the car corner even better. Works great even on stock cars.

See I didn't forget that I have E34s hehehe.

Russell
06-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Will it affect ride by stiffening the rear of the car?

How do you install? Do you replace a bushing? I do not understand where it goes.

Does this bushing have the potential to reduce rear steering?

Please tell us more about the following:

"Next, I will have to inserts for 750i bushings to make them slighly stiffer and make the car corner even better. Works great even on stock cars"

I believe you are discussing the front end. Will these inserts fit stock bushings in the upper thrust arms and how do you install them? Will it require the upper thrust arms to be removed?

Thanks,

http://www.racingking.ca/Canada/ProdImages/Subplate.jpg

Link to see more details (http://www.racingking.ca/Canada/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=693)

Works on any E34/E32 and E32, this product is very easy to install without a lift, it is placed between the subframe mount and its bracket. It will stiffen the rear of your car and remove some bodyroll. Perfect upgrade with or without sway bars.

FREE SHIPPING. :-)

Next, I will have to inserts for 750i bushings to make them slighly stiffer and make the car corner even better. Works great even on stock cars.

See I didn't forget that I have E34s hehehe.

George M
06-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Bruno....do you have a technical explanation of why they increase the solidity of the rear end i.e. how they interact with the bushing to add stiffness/control? The picture is not clear as to how the insert interfaces with the bushing. I presume it has to finger down within the air-space of the bushing to minimize lateral displacement of the bushing. How about some background?
Also typical of just about any suspension mod, there is no free lunch. Is some ride quality lost?
Thanks,
George

Bruno
06-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Bruno....do you have a technical explanation of why they increase the solidity of the rear end i.e. how they interact with the bushing to add stiffness/control? The picture is not clear as to how the insert interfaces with the bushing. I presume it has to finger down within the air-space of the bushing to minimize lateral displacement of the bushing. How about some background?
Also typical of just about any suspension mod, there is no free lunch. Is some ride quality lost?
Thanks,
George

Basically, the way the bushing is designed, there is a big gap between the bushing and the plate. So the bushing is allowed to flex up and down. (this is probably what is killing it) By adding a plate and getting ride of the void, the bushing cannot flex as much and will be tighter. That means the rear end will react way faster.

My car is so stiff, I cannot tell you if the ride is affected, the car was definitively tail happy after the mod and the sway bars. A couple of customers in Canada have the mod and didn't report any noise increase or other problem.
They already do that on the 3 series.

Bruno
06-17-2004, 10:47 AM
Will it affect ride by stiffening the rear of the car?

How do you install? Do you replace a bushing? I do not understand where it goes.

Does this bushing have the potential to reduce rear steering?

Please tell us more about the following:

"Next, I will have to inserts for 750i bushings to make them slighly stiffer and make the car corner even better. Works great even on stock cars"

I believe you are discussing the front end. Will these inserts fit stock bushings in the upper thrust arms and how do you install them? Will it require the upper thrust arms to be removed?

Thanks,

Install:
Remove the plate that is holding the subframe mount: 3 screws.
Install the large Racing King washer and re-install the plate holding the subframe mount.... Voila. I will take step by step install pics when I will install the next pair.

As for the thrust arms inserts, they will work on stock and 750i bushings also.
You just need to remove the bolt holding the bushing, you don't need to remove the complete arm. They make the car more responsive and doesn't make it stiff at all.

Russell
06-17-2004, 08:29 PM
Not sure if you said they available yet?

Thanks,

Install:
Remove the plate that is holding the subframe mount: 3 screws.
Install the large Racing King washer and re-install the plate holding the subframe mount.... Voila. I will take step by step install pics when I will install the next pair.

As for the thrust arms inserts, they will work on stock and 750i bushings also.
You just need to remove the bolt holding the bushing, you don't need to remove the complete arm. They make the car more responsive and doesn't make it stiff at all.

jplacson
06-17-2004, 08:53 PM
ok, quick question re suspension bushings ... both front and rear... I know you're supposed to tighten the bushing under load... I was just wondering if installation procedure is common for all or at least most German cars... Merc, Opel, etc...? Thanks

Unregistered
06-17-2004, 10:28 PM
Basically, the way the bushing is designed, there is a big gap between the bushing and the plate. So the bushing is allowed to flex up and down. (this is probably what is killing it) By adding a plate and getting ride of the void, the bushing cannot flex as much and will be tighter. That means the rear end will react way faster.

My car is so stiff, I cannot tell you if the ride is affected, the car was definitively tail happy after the mod and the sway bars. A couple of customers in Canada have the mod and didn't report any noise increase or other problem.
They already do that on the 3 series.

Do you need to replace the rear subframe bushings before using this plate?

I have a 90 535i/5spd/95K and have never changed this bushing. Changing the subframe bushing looks like a pain:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/suspension/subframebushing.htm

Could this plate be used in lieu of actually changing the subframe bushing?

Russell
06-18-2004, 05:21 PM
bump

Russell
06-21-2004, 10:38 PM
rebump :-)

Deke NorCal
07-03-2004, 10:16 AM
bump^

what about a combo deal Subframe bushings and These stiffener plates? :)

Bruno
07-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Do you need to replace the rear subframe bushings before using this plate?

I have a 90 535i/5spd/95K and have never changed this bushing. Changing the subframe bushing looks like a pain:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/suspension/subframebushing.htm

Could this plate be used in lieu of actually changing the subframe bushing?

Well it will make the bushing wear slower because the bushing isn't allowed the flex as much.

Bruno
07-05-2004, 12:55 PM
I will also make a combo at a lower price as requested.

I am having the thrust arm bushing inserts machined as we speak and they will be ready to ship at the end of the week.

Thanks, I will take pictures and insert them in the website as soon as I get them.

Russell
07-05-2004, 01:23 PM
I sent you an e-mail a few days ago stating I want you to hold a set of the Thrust arm bushings for me to match the rear suspension bushing inserts I just put on. By the way, I think the steering feels a bit more responsive with the rear bushing inserts.
Russell

I will also make a combo at a lower price as requested.

I am having the thrust arm bushing inserts machined as we speak and they will be ready to ship at the end of the week.

Thanks, I will take pictures and insert them in the website as soon as I get them.

Mr Project
07-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Just ordered my rear subframe plates... thanks for the continued support of the E34 community! I'll post my impressions after I get them in and get some miles on them. I'm hoping to delay my rear bushing replacement for a while, and improve my highway wandering.

MBXB
07-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Bruno
Please re-post prices of the subframe stiffeners, front and rear.
Thanks