PDA

View Full Version : F L U S H I N G the beast for the last time

BMW4LIFE
05-26-2011, 01:31 AM
So I trust this site very much so

BMW E34 Website (http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Engine/Coolant%20replacement.htm)

but he says that the cooling system should be flushed by using the garden hose. I am confused as I thought only distilled water should be used in the cooling system.

When you flush am I correct to think that there will be remittence left?

Should I flush with the distilled water by buying 5 extra gallons (extra $5 max) of distilled water?

any ideas would be appreciated.

plus I have used Red Line water wetter before but didn't notice an advantage by looking at the gauge...worth the $14?

thanks guys!

BigKriss
05-26-2011, 03:04 AM
there will be hardly any water left becasue it will all go out out the block or radiator drain plug right? just flush with the garden hose.

i just use the garden hose and coolant

Ross
05-26-2011, 01:06 PM
I didn't look at the other site's procedure but flusing cold water through will close the thermostat so you'll need to work around that, perhaps it's covered.
If you drain the block and blow out the heater etc. it doesn't matter what you flush with.
What is your water supply? Ground water usually has a lot more minerals than surface water. Where I used to live I had surface water with little dissolved minerals and used it all my cars' cooling systems without issue. Now I have a private well and the water isn't suitable.