PDA

View Full Version : Front outer door handle removal - pics

6670charger
05-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Had the opportunity tonight to remove the outer front door handle from my old door and use the experience as a learning tool for when I remove the handle from the current car door. I decided that rather than go through the seemingly tricky process of trying to "re-key" my lock cylinder, I might as well just swap door handle assemblies since I'd have to remove the thing to "re-key" anyway.

I took a few pics of the assembly after I removed it as there are a few key things to know if you've never done this before, like me. I used instructions provided by another member, although there were differences as his instructions were for a back door. I won't talk about how to remove the inner door panel, as most of us probably know how to do this already.

Once the inner door cavity is exposed, the first thing is to remove the small black plastic cap located in the aft jamb area above the lock catch, and in line with the outer handle. Once this cap is removed, using a light, you can see the end of a gold colored metal slider (see the gold colored metal piece that runs along the top of the assembly in pic #1). I pulled this back toward the access hole per my instructions, and spent over an hour trying to pull it back farther because the outer trim piece just wouldn't release. After prying it off and breaking it, I was able to expose the lock ring around the lock cylinder and remove it, and then removed the bolt from inside the door attached to the small carriage-like stud inserted through the outside of the door. This released the assembly and allowed me to remove it. It was here where I learned how the slider works.

In pic #2 and #6 you can see a small square opening in the slider between the lock cylinder and the latch lift. In this pic, the slider is pushed in toward the assembly. In pic #3, the slider is pulled out toward the access hole. Note how the slider narrows down. Pic #4 shows how the outer trim piece is held in place by the slider which is "pushed in." Pic #5 shows the slider "pulled out" and releasing it's hold on the tab for the trim piece. In other words, in order to release the outer trim piece, the slider must be "pushed in" instead of "pulled out" or pulled back.

ImageShack Album - 6 images (http://img841.imageshack.us/g/bmwdoorhandle001.jpg/)

I was able to salvage the rubber gasket, which was in good condition. I now know how to remove the latch assembly from the actual door and will replace it with this one, which was original to the car, and to the key. I also know it works and locks correctly, as it worked fine before I changed doors. All I have to do is determine why the lock knob rod seems to be jammed, or if the lock itself is bad and needs to be replaced with the original also so I can get my driver's door to lock correctly again.

Thanks to all who provided info. It got me going in the right direction, and I learned a few things along the way.