PDA

View Full Version : Wiper arm replacement advice

vping
05-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Hello all,

I have a 1990 535i E34 and need to replace the wiper blades. This "upside down" hook is giving me a headache! I made the mistake of throwing out the original blade or I would just replace the rubbers but I can't go back now.

Anyway, I did a search on this site and cannot find any easy alternative than to replace the arm?? Several suggestions have been to remove and re-weld the arm back on (not an easy task) or to replace with a newer model arm.

So, does anyone know if this arm from this auction will fit? BMW E36 M3 318 325 Wiper Arms Left Right Coupe OEM | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E36-M3-318-325-Wiper-Arms-Left-Right-Coupe-OEM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4159c0e831QQitemZ28067 8688817QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries)

I greatly appreciate any help or other suggestions you can provide. Right now I have the ones I bought at Costco (Goodyear) rigged with a hope and a prayer.

Jeani (Vince's wife)

Tiger
05-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Arm and the blade is two different thing. On my car, I had no problem installing any brand. I think the best thing now is the Bosch Aero type wiper blades.

632 Regal
05-26-2011, 01:38 AM
There are both the upside down and regular hooks, matters what year it is from. I have no clue if a 3 series would work. My 94 has the regular hook and the replacement I got was reverse and a PITA to find the correct arms so I went back with the original one.

Ross
05-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Get a replacement blade from the dealer or a wrecker. When the rubber wears out just replace the rubber.
All these ideas to modify the factory arm to accomodate aftermarket blade assemblies are silly. The replacement rubber is readily available and is all that is needed to restore the blade.
OH, the blade assembly listed by some of the on-line parts houses as a direct fit, isn't correct. I know of no aftermarket blade assembly.

632 Regal
05-26-2011, 09:55 PM
The blade assembly's wear out which is why I went to replace it. Actually the arm I used I believe was from an 88 or 89 and it wouldn't work with the replacement assembly listed for the 88/89 but did fit my 94 stocker arm. I replaced the old assembly for the style with the spoiler deal on it, world of difference on the highway.

vping
06-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Get a replacement blade from the dealer or a wrecker. When the rubber wears out just replace the rubber.
All these ideas to modify the factory arm to accomodate aftermarket blade assemblies are silly. The replacement rubber is readily available and is all that is needed to restore the blade.
OH, the blade assembly listed by some of the on-line parts houses as a direct fit, isn't correct. I know of no aftermarket blade assembly.

Finding the original replacement blade is the hard part. Haven't checked yet but can only imagine that the dealer is gonna be 'spensive. Wrecker is another option. I will have to call around because I can't seem to find anything on eBay or Craigslist.

As for after-market stuff, I am having the same experience--even supposed BMW part warehouse sites don't have the right parts. I just had to return some. What a pain!

Thanks for your advice. I'm so mad we threw away the original blade!!!

Tiger
06-03-2011, 07:35 PM
I really don't understand the big deal... at least the Bosch Microedge has the adapter that you can put on either direction... with the lock tab up or lock tab down. Go to Bosch website and see which one fits your car.

I don't recommends old blades... they are too loose at the privots that causes chattering.