PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take out clean their heater valve?

Abnormal
06-16-2004, 04:23 PM
I am considering doing it. Just curious how much coolant loss will there be when I disconnect it and will I have to bleed the system again?

ryan roopnarine
06-16-2004, 05:10 PM
i'd say that when you stem the leaks, you'll have lost atleast 1 quart/litre. you will have to bleed it afterward, with the heat on. here's a good set of instructions, brasso cleans the corrosion well..

http://www.users.qwest.net/~gbower/bmw/BMWheatervalve.htm

I am considering doing it. Just curious how much coolant loss will there be when I disconnect it and will I have to bleed the system again?

JonE
06-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Not much coolant loss if you clamp the hoses with long nose vise grips prior to removal. You definately will have to bleed afterward. On mine, I ended up getting a new auxiliary pump as the electronics were fried. Good luck taking the valve apart to clean though.

Anton CH.
06-17-2004, 12:09 AM
There is some coolant loss and using vice grips didn't help me much. I didn't bother bleeding the system. Be carefull when you open it up. Don't force anything, that's how I broke mine.

Abnormal
06-18-2004, 08:46 PM
The heater valve is cleaned and my aux pump works fine. Still getting little cold air into the cabin. Definitely not the ice cold air from last year. Mechanic says that the blockage is mechanical, not in the cooling system itself. How does the system control the climate for the two sides of the car? The passenger side air is much cooler than the driver side.