PDA

View Full Version : Aux fan removal without removing the bumper?

whiskychaser
05-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Looks like I have a coolant weep on my radiator so I am going to remove it and have it tested. While its out I'd like to remove the aircon fan too and check it out as it sticks (I'm thinking loose magnets/ dry bearings)
I've read you need to ease the rad backwards a bit to get at the top bolt that secures the aux fan housing. So with the rad out of the way, will I be able to get at the other two housing mounts and will the fan come out towards the back? I'd like to avoid taking the grille and bumper off if I can. Looking at the last pic here it seems I might be in with a chance?:
http://home.comcast.net/~winstonfong/repairpagessite2/frontgrillremoval.htm

Tiger
05-15-2011, 06:49 PM
AC Condenser is in between radiator and aux fan... not a chance unless you want to risk damaging your AC system.

I have to say, just take off the front grill and that should give you enough room to check the aux fan and even replace the horns.

ss2115
05-16-2011, 02:01 AM
Taking the grill and bumper bar off is so easy to do. Why wouldn't you to make the job easier anyway even if you could avoid it?

whiskychaser
05-16-2011, 02:42 AM
not a chance unless you want to risk damaging your AC system.

Thats what I like - a straight answer. I just didnt want to make a pig's ear of the bumper strips or alignment. Thanks gents

Tiger
05-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Taking grill off is easy. If you think it is hard, you haven't master it yet.

whiskychaser
05-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Taking grill off is easy. If you think it is hard, you haven't master it yet.
Oh, I can manage that:D What I (and several others in the UK) am struggling with is the aux fan resistor. I believe the originals were circuit protection resistors? I can find 0.5ohm 100W wire wounds for about £4 in the UK but they are without the protection and I dont fancy starting a fire:( Magna type resistors are on the market for about USD 25 but if I'm using the rate calculator correctly, USPS want about USD30 to mail it! Maybe I should buy a job lot? Any advice welcome

Tiger
05-17-2011, 09:03 AM
I ship alot of packages oversea... little things doesn't cost any more than $13 for up to 4lb... small size. I cannot imagine UK being that expensive to ship from US.

whiskychaser
05-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Just checked it on Pelican Parts. The item is about USD 23 but they add USD 36 to post it. I might just go wire-wound and add a PTC thermistor if I can find one with the right spec. A bit of messing about but IMHO USD 60 is a bit steep for a resistor, particularly one that is known to fail:(

Tiger
05-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Check with your BMW dealer... can't be that much of a price difference.

whiskychaser
05-17-2011, 04:13 PM
I've spent a lot of time messing around with this. You are right. Its time to make that phone call

whiskychaser
05-19-2011, 07:15 AM
£35 from the dealer for the Magna (mine). I've seen a few articles including one by Shogun where they replaced the resistor with wirewounds. But if the fan sticks they are going to fry and IMHO could cause a fire. I can get thermal cut-outs for £0.82 though. So for about £5 I could have a safe system: if the fan sticks it isnt going to fry a £35 resistor or my car

Tiger
05-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Mmm... no online BMW parts supplier in UK? or Euro? I have seen the ceramic resistor for like $18... I tried to price the shipping at BMA and AutohausAZ.com but don't know UK Zip code...

whiskychaser
05-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Shipping costs more than the item itself at BMA or AutohausAZ. When you add it up you are talking around USD 50 from either of them. Which is about dealer price here at a decent rate of exchange. Shopped around for hours but cant find it cheap anywhere. The fan is a Magna but I think it is the tropical version. I have a horrible feeling nothing on it is going to be standard:(