PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer issue

6670charger
05-14-2011, 06:41 AM
I've read a number of threads involving speedometer issues, but, nobody has ever really answered the question I'm about to ask. I know it's electrically operated, and can have issues in either the gauge circuit board or the differential.

What causes the speedometer to occasionally stop working? I don't think my problem is in the differential because on the occasions when it doesn't work, it will start working again if I slap the dashboard, and works fine until the next time it acts up.

Seems to me it has to be in the cluster somewhere. All the other gauges work fine, just the speedometer acts up.

ahlem
05-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Aging electrical connections respond some times to a slap. Unless you want to get a bunch of Q-tips and some contact cleaner and clean all of the connections after you take everything apart, keep slapping.

6670charger
05-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Might be a good Sunday afternoon project one of these days. First thing I have to do is figure out how the dash comes apart.

whiskychaser
05-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Just two screws going up into the top of the dash. I dont have an airbag so find it easier to just remove the steering wheel for access. If you are good at Twister you might manage it without that

BennyM
05-16-2011, 05:42 PM
But since he DOES have an airbag, it's a little trickier. No matter what make sure you disconnect the battery first. There is a method I use that doesn't require taking off the steering wheel. I jack up the front of the car, telescope the steering wheel all the way out, and then I fit as much of the cluster in the larger gap of the steering wheel as possible. Reach behind the cluster to disconnect it from the car and then turn the steering wheel toward the open door. At some point you'll have enough room to wiggle the cluster free. Then you actually have room to work.

6670charger
05-20-2011, 03:33 AM
Thanks. It's been working fine for the past few days, but, I'm sure it will start acting up again at some point soon. Seems to at least once a week. Thanks for the tips.