PDA

View Full Version : Okay so I know nothing about rims...

Calico_NC
04-30-2011, 03:37 PM
My dad has some spare 18 inch chrome wheels just sitting around behind the house.(great condition) I looked and they seem to look like they are universal rims. They are 5 lug but doubled in a way. So there's actually like 10 holes. (Keep in mind I've never had rims lol) I took off my wheel and put one on. I didn't screw it in, i just wanted to see if the holes lined up, which they did. Now my question is whether or not they're too big. ....and judging by my google searches for the last hour i think so.

They are all 255/35/zr18. All four of them. I don't know about offset or any of the technical terms. So my question is, would they fit? It seemed like the front wheel (the only one i tried) may hit the suspension but i didn't lower the car off the jack to see so i'm not too sure. Any ideas?

Tiger
04-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Look on the wheel... for something like this... 8J x 18 and something like this... ET15.

It can be on the back of the wheel or it can be on the front center portion if there is a cap. WHen you find it... post it.

BMWDriver
04-30-2011, 07:44 PM
You need an offset of ET20, so less could work too. A higher offset brings the rim inwards, which you don't want. However, 18 inch are pretty much the limit of what can fit the e34. The tires you have are a bit thin and out of spec, though you will still be able to wheel around on them and have a rough ride, and your speedometer offset by some.

What fits and within specs:
18x8.5" Wheels:
235/40-18
245/40-18
265/35-18

John in CT
04-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Those big tires weigh about 5 pounds each more than the stock size. I see alot more stress on your stock suspension parts from this increase in unsprung weight. If you live where the roads are rough this could be an issue over time.

My 0.02

John