PDA

View Full Version : Petroleum-like odor

6670charger
04-25-2011, 02:37 AM
Does the E34 use an exhaust manifold gasket? I'm getting a petroleum-like odor through the ventilation system. Can't tell for sure if it's fuel or exhaust. Just wondering what might be causing it. My first thought was maybe a leaking exhaust manifold gasket, but, I don't know if these cars use one. The car has the M50 2.5L 6 cylinder engine. This is my first BMW.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

shogun
04-25-2011, 05:38 AM
would be nice if you could tell us which engine is installed. Then someone can answer

you can also check the exhaust drawings with your VIN on www.realoem.com

6670charger
04-25-2011, 04:00 PM
It's the M50 2.5L 6 cylinder.

whiskychaser
04-26-2011, 02:32 AM
Smell it more when you just started driving it? If so check hoses 15 & 16 below when you start the engine from stone cold. Its common for them to leak with age but they seem to seal once things warm up:
RealOEM.com * BMW E34 525i VALVES/PIPES OF FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD68&mospid=47405&btnr=13_0347&hg=13&fg=15)

6670charger
04-26-2011, 04:13 AM
Yes, it's mostly right after start up, although I do get a whif every now and then while driving. I will probably get enough hose to replace 14-17. The diagram shows they are clamped to lines 12 and 13, which are presumably pre-shaped metal lines. Are they also clamped to whatever each of them attaches to at the other end?

Thanks.

whiskychaser
04-26-2011, 05:17 AM
If you look to the right of the throttle body, you will see where the hard lines 12/13exit from under the manifold and connect to hoses. The hoses drop about a foot then connect to hard lines at the back of the inner wing near the bulkhead.
Get your tape measure out and see how much hose you need. Then maybe have a word with your BMW dealer- when I bought a 'hose kit' from them I expected to get short lengths of pipe. In fact I got about a meter! I still use the extra when testing with a fuel pressure gauge:)

6670charger
04-26-2011, 05:47 AM
OK, got it. The rubber hoses connect to hard lines at each end. Should be relatively easy to change them out then save for dealing with cramped workspaces.

whiskychaser
04-26-2011, 11:29 AM
OK, got it. The rubber hoses connect to hard lines at each end. Should be relatively easy to change them out then save for dealing with cramped workspaces.
Yep. You could always do the bottom connections from underneath. But why fix it if it isnt broken? I'm betting the hose near the fuel pressure regulator is the culprit anyway. If/when you do the hoses, dont forget the fuel is under pressure - have a nice big rag handy to soak it up. And if its got the silly BMW hose clips on it, you will need a set of mole grips to back them off. They are designed to shear when they reach torque leaving you nothing to put a screwdriver or socket on:D

PS Although you are in Germany, I'm guessing you are from the US?

6670charger
04-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Yes, I'm from the U.S. I'm in Germany for about a year for the Military. Bought a cheap BMW for daily wheels. Really like the car. Just trying to address a few small nagging issues.

I'll take a look at the clamps tomorrow.

Thanks

whiskychaser
04-26-2011, 02:29 PM
The 'u' missing from odour is a clue :) After a year you will be able to look up parts in realoem in German. Some of the parts prices there are silly money. Hope you enjoy the stay and the car

Rustam
05-03-2011, 08:33 PM
see my other post in reply to your query...

6670charger
05-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Success!!! I changed out all four of the rubber fuel lines under the hood today. A couple of the hose clamps were a little hard to get to, but, I got them. I got a hold of a bulk length of BMW fuel line from an aftermarket BMW supplier. Now that all the new fuel line is installed, I've not once smelled gas right after startup, or right after accelerating from a stop.

I think the problem is finally resolved.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and assistance. It really helped.