PDA

View Full Version : exhaust/fuel smell

6670charger
04-19-2011, 03:53 AM
Getting an exhaust or fuel smell coming through the vents at times. Can really smell it from the outside after shutting the car off. Smells like someone cleaned the engine with Diesel fuel. Odd thing is that there doesn't appear to be any leakage from anywhere. Can't see anything wet, and nothing drips on the ground.

I assume I must have a leak somewhere. Maybe an exhaust gasket? Has anyone else had this experience? If so, what was your leak?

thanks.

Omega
04-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Fuel smell > Coming from fuel feed line into the underside of the inlet manifold on petrol engine. Difficult to see and reach but replacement pipe fixed it (and the fuel economy).

May be the same setup on the diesel, but be careful messing with the pipes as the fuel pressure is much, much greater in diesels than petrol

6670charger
04-19-2011, 07:14 AM
OK. I'll take a look. Someone said before I bought the car that the rubber fuel line was beginning to dry rot. Maybe there is a spot near where you're talking about that is actually leaking a little. Have a petrol car. I assume the pipe you're refering to is the rubber fuel line and not a metal piece?

Thanks.

Omega
04-27-2011, 05:10 AM
Sorry for the non-reply. Been away from a computer for a while...

Yes it's the rubber line that links from the hard line in the area of the bulkhead to the underside of the inlet manifold.

You can use generic fuel pipe, but I found that it didn't like the bend in the pipe under the manifold and had the generic rubber pipe rot out twice. I replaced it with the genuine BMW part (not as expensive as I thought it would be and certainly cheaper than two generic pipes) and never smelt the fuel smell again.

My leak was obvious as the side of the engine block and underside of the manifold was covered in fuel. Had to drive home, very gingerly, with a large fire extiguisher on the passenger seat as I was stuck in the middle of nowhere with no other option available!

Hope this helps abnd solves the issue.

Rustam
05-03-2011, 08:31 PM
You can use generic fuel pipe

(1)Please do take into account that some fuel pipes are designed for carburated systems, and some are !stronger! for fuel injected systems - those using pressure twice to three times greater. Be careful with the replacement making sure that you avoid a situation of bursting fuel line and consequential fire - which !can! happen...

(2)A smell of fuel can occur due to faulty charcoal canister - this is a device designed to allow entry of air into fuel tank to take place of lowering volume of gas in a way that yet prevents escaping of fuel vapor. Do check that the canister is not too old. I simply replaced it in my car a while ago...

6670charger
05-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Good news!! I replaced all my rubber fuel lines under the hood today. Got a bulk length of 8x13 BMW fuel line from one of the aftermarket BMW suppliers. Since changing out all the rubber lines today, I have not once smelled gas upon startup, or while accelerating from a stop like I used to. I think the problem is solved.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and references.