PDA

View Full Version : 2002 1.8T GTI Alternator

Hector
04-16-2011, 06:20 PM
This is not related to BMW but I was wondering if someone had any experience removing the alternator. It looks like my options are either working underneath the car to remove power steering pump and AC compressor to get to the alternator or from the engine compartment to remove the intake manifold along with a few little things here and there. Both are labor intensive and ridiculous. My service manual mentions how to unbolt the thing but lacks detail on how to get to the altermator. Any help would be appreciated.

632 Regal
04-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Not a clue about your GTI... On my 530 it says to remove a multitude of things and the steering pump is one of them if pulling from the bottom. I just went into the project and the thing came right out to the top no biggie. Sometimes them write ups make a big deal out of nothing. Before I went and started it did look like I would be in there for a week.

Hector
04-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the pointers Jeff

Thanks for the link ncbeach bum. I wish I had checked your message earlier cuz your method is simpler than the method I choose. I decided to work from the engine compartment and was able to swap the alt with a new one. Wan't too bad but had to remove the bumper, bumper beam to put lock carrier in the service position.

ncbeachbum
04-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Glad that helped. I tried to reply but my account wasn't approved until Sunday PM and I was about to head out of town for work.