PDA

View Full Version : Front brake caliper question

6670charger
04-11-2011, 11:00 AM
My left front brake caliper is either tight or sticking in some way. The wheel will not turn freely when off the ground.

Does this mean that the caliper is shot, or is there a way to adjust or repair it?

Not familiar with these as this is my first BMW, so please forgive the questions.

Thanks.

whiskychaser
04-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Could just mean your pads are sticking on but the piston may be stuck.
Either way, remove the caliper from the carrier. The inboard pad should come off with it as it is secured to the piston. Remove the pad and using a G clamp, push the piston in about 1/4 inch. If its seized you will find out at this point-you should be able to do it easily by hand. Back the clamp off 1/4 inch again. Leaving the clamp in position (to prevent the piston coming out) get a friend to press the brake pedal. The piston should come out again and be stopped by the clamp. Repeat a couple of times. Clean the carrier where the pads slide and inspect the pads. They may be shot if the brakes have been binding for any length of time. HTH

Tiger
04-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Most likely the caliper is stuck... the caliper piston seal is swollen from contamination. Best bet is to buy rebuilt caliper and install it. You should flush all your brake fluid at this time too. Be real careful not to break off the bleeder screw... soak it with penetrating fluid first for 20 minutes or so before you try. I would buy some extra bleeder screws while you are ordering the caliper.

Trying to unstuck the piston and reinstall will likely be stuck again. Your brake pad is probably cooked at this point and the rotors has blue glaze or glazed at this point.

6670charger
04-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Most likely the caliper is stuck... the caliper piston seal is swollen from contamination. Best bet is to buy rebuilt caliper and install it. You should flush all your brake fluid at this time too. Be real careful not to break off the bleeder screw... soak it with penetrating fluid first for 20 minutes or so before you try. I would buy some extra bleeder screws while you are ordering the caliper.

Trying to unstuck the piston and reinstall will likely be stuck again. Your brake pad is probably cooked at this point and the rotors has blue glaze or glazed at this point.

OK. thanks.

6670charger
04-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Could just mean your pads are sticking on but the piston may be stuck.
Either way, remove the caliper from the carrier. The inboard pad should come off with it as it is secured to the piston. Remove the pad and using a G clamp, push the piston in about 1/4 inch. If its seized you will find out at this point-you should be able to do it easily by hand. Back the clamp off 1/4 inch again. Leaving the clamp in position (to prevent the piston coming out) get a friend to press the brake pedal. The piston should come out again and be stopped by the clamp. Repeat a couple of times. Clean the carrier where the pads slide and inspect the pads. They may be shot if the brakes have been binding for any length of time. HTH

OK. I'll look into that. Sounds like a good Saturday project.