PDA

View Full Version : THM-4L30E automatic trany "shudder"

Russell
04-10-2011, 08:24 PM
The GM made THM-4L30E automatic transmission in my 1995 525i seems to be “shuddering” or stutter shifting slightly when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and again when shifting from 3rd to 4th.when warm. Shifting seems fine with the engine cold.

Transmission was last serviced (drain and fill) 18,000 miles ago with Valvoline Dexron VI and new filter. Car now has 198,000 miles with original transmission.

I have heard the tranmission control module and/or solenoids can cause shift issues and the transmission is not failing. Also heard a bad center bearing or driveshat problem can cause a shudder when shifting.

Any thoughts on what may be the issue?

Russell
04-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Any thoughts? I am concerned enough that I may stop driving the car. Does anyone know of a proper way to test this trany with out a "tear down"?

Tiger
04-12-2011, 12:12 PM
You should call Kirt. I am not sure why you used Dextron 6... synthetic... Drained and filled is maybe 3 quarts of the total 9+ quarts capacity.

I suggest you check the fluid level again... do another drain and fill w/o changing filter.

It is very possible that one of the selenoid is going bad or the speed sensor is going bad. You need to find a competent mechanic who has the diagnostic tool to verify which parts is bad. Those tranny shops say you need rebuilt is BS LSOB... if they give you generic reasonings. Kirt is your best bet for honest answer.

Russell
04-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks, for the advice. All of it good.
Dexron VI superseeded Dexron III. Dexron III is no longer made.This was the second fill with dexron VI so I have had Dexron VI for about 50,000 miles with no issues. BTW, my indy shop removes pan, drains-no flush, changes filter, disconnects cooler and blows out the lines to remove as much old fluid as possible.

I agree, fluid level will be checked asap.

I understand Kirt is a ZF man not a GM. Even so, i will track him down and give a call. I hate to take his time as I doubt if he can make any money off me.

tim eh?
04-12-2011, 02:44 PM
The shuddering in mine is because the driveshaft is seizing at one end but it is when the transmission shifts down from 4->3 and 3->2 edit... and it is a ZFhp22