PDA

View Full Version : Battery keeps draining, but no drain detected? Help!

CharlesAFerg
04-10-2011, 01:59 AM
I just replaced my battery with a used battery, but I'm having some recurring symptoms. I don't know what to make of it.

Okay, so the longer I leave my car without driving it, (if I wait until late in the day to start it for the day) the battery typically has a hard time starting the car, the starter becomes really sluggish and barely gets it going.

Yet, if I drive the car around for a while, say I drive around for a half hour or more, or if I'm out doing chores, it typically starts up, like it's charging a little bit.

I did some electrical tests, by putting a meter between the neg cable and the neg batt terminal, and it showed no drain...?

I don't get it!

I've been driving with no radio, trying to keep lights off when I don't need them, fan off, all interior lights off, etc...

Help?

Paul in NZ
04-10-2011, 02:39 AM
the battery is toast.Try giving a good charge up then see.seeif you get the battery tested/load tested

whiskychaser
04-10-2011, 03:15 AM
Used battery may simply not be holding charge. What voltage do you get aross the terminals? Try trickle charging. Check SG with a hydrometer. A duff pot will show up pretty soon as it wont gas like the rest.

Tiger
04-10-2011, 09:39 AM
If the battery is old, it is probably toast. Just do a load test on it and it will tell you the answer... most auto parts store do this for free.

What is your charging voltage when car is running?

CharlesAFerg
04-10-2011, 09:13 PM
How do I check the charging voltage?

Paul in NZ
04-11-2011, 03:24 AM
How do I check the charging voltage?

voltmeter across battery should read 13 to 14 v when car is charging fully