PDA

View Full Version : Soft clutch pedal

ArnZ!
04-05-2011, 06:20 AM
Hey fellas,

Sooooo long story short, my rebuilt auto died a month ago and i ended up finding a whole 535is manual parts car for sale which had everything for a manual conversion. So i went ahead and transferred everything over to my e34, at the same time i did the single mass flywheel conversion with a 635csi LuK clutch kit and everything bolted up fine. Bleed the clutch with no problems. Slave cylinder was rebuilt because i ripped the boot so i had my local shop replace the boot and rubber on the piston.

Just one problem though is that the pedal feel is soooo soft that it feels like the clutch lines is just full of air (which isnt because the car can shift gears and car can move from a stand still) i even had the car up in the air and put it in 1st with the clutch pedal all the way in and the rear wheels don't move.

Even worse was last night driving spiritedly i went to change gears quickly and the pedal got stuck at the floor until the revs dropped then it finally came back out. Im really stumped on this one fellas, anyone have some ideas?

thanks in advance

Grantus
04-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Was the slave replaced or repaired? If replaced, it is possible that a larger bore size would make the pedal feel softer with a slight decrease in stroke when in use.

There will be no mechanical/hydraulic relationship to the revs causing the pedal to release.

Check there is no weeping around the master cylinder.

ArnZ!
04-05-2011, 04:19 PM
When the slave was rebuilt, the bore was still perfect so it wasn't touched, just a new rubber on the piston and new dust boot.

I think this weekend ill take the master cylinder in to get a check over. On the outside it does have some dark stains just outside the dust boot area.... could this be dried up brake fluid?

ArnZ!
04-10-2011, 04:57 AM
UPDATE: well seems like my soft/slow clutch pedal problem has been fixed. I took out the over center spring behind the pedal and now the clutch feels more heavy and most importantly comes back out instantly. Im very happy with the results now. Hope this helps someone with the same problem.

Grantus
04-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Glad you got it sorted.