PDA

View Full Version : 540 Driving modes question

Matias
06-16-2004, 09:40 AM
I don't have the manual for my 94 540i and I'm not really sure about the driving modes...I know the "normal" mode is E but then I don't know what the "*" mode exactly does and when it's useful. Also I heard there is a "sport" mode but I don't know how to engage it. Is there a wrong way of switching from one mode to the next one?
If anyone could enlighten me I'll really appreciate.

Phil M
06-16-2004, 11:06 AM
E - economy mode. normal driving conditions
* - snow/inclement weather mode. it changes the shift points to lower rpms to reduce the possibility of wheel spin. reduces torque at acceleration too.
S - sport mode. shift down into 2, 3, or 4 and you are in sport mode. doesnt shift until higher rpms, usually at redline.

632 Regal
06-16-2004, 11:20 AM
E is normal, the * is winter traction control, such as taking off in 2nd so that you dont spin the tires as easy. Mine worked last summer but not since so I have not used it this winter but I understand that it uses the brakes and ECU to control spin and traction even on turns when and if it starts sliding...pretty cool thing.

Sport mode is pretty much when you drop the shifter into a lower gear, the transmission will shift at higher RPMs and a little firmer. Play around with it, you'll like it!

:D

DueyT
06-16-2004, 04:56 PM
Oh....auto trannies....I though you meant, how I drive my 540?

As in:

a) hell bent for election, or

b) just like sweet ole Granny.

http://www.dodge-charger.com/Charger/BoardImages/cheesy.gif

Cheers,
Duey