PDA

View Full Version : Dead starter?

BMWDriver
03-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Well, it ain't the battery. M50 just won't turn. After checking fuses (you never know), unplugging the useless alarm module (been dead since I had it anyway, with its cut horn and busted valet switch), cutting the power to the bat a couple of times, still no turn. Thought that might reset the engine's brains, but I have not checked thoroughly on that. And I've not left the battery disconnected long enough, perhaps.

What happened: stopped for gas, filled 'er up, start in first gear - like don't press the clutch or have it in neutral-DOH! - it turns and pushes forward, and dies of course. Ok, no prob, I've done that once or twice before. Take two: push the clutch, put it in neutral, restart... nothing. Everything lights up. Lack of amperage at the battery? Nope, boosting did nothing. I do a lot of small trips in the winter and the battery is at least 5½ years old. But, that's not the culprit.

Anywho, what can you expect at 424,xxx kms (200k+ miles). Maybe I should have the alternator changed just to be on the safe side... Two years ago the water pump impellers busted, now the starter might have had it. But otherwise, it runs so great, is fun to drive... what's a little mishap and towing expense.

As a side note, for some strange reason, I just can't seem to be able to do the stomp test.

Tiger
03-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Hit the starter with a hammer... a couple of times and see if it starts... if yes, starter is bad.

Also check your clutch starter safety switch.

BMWDriver
03-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Also check your clutch starter safety switch.

Not sure I have that (07/92 Canadian model)... I've always been able to start it without the foot on the clutch. Well, it's all gonna be sorted tomorrow by my favorite mechanic.

BMWDriver
03-23-2011, 01:55 PM
So, it's the starter, not a relay or anything electrical. Glad that's all sorted.

tim eh?
03-23-2011, 01:57 PM
yep it was the starter. how do i know? i was there and i watched them replace it. nice job on the seats and on the dash btw it looks really nice in there! also i am amazed at how clean it is underneath your car! for 400,000+ it looks almost brand new!

BMWDriver
03-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks Tim! The 2 year old gas tank will help with that fresh look!