PDA

View Full Version : static electricity almost every time I get in/out of my car? Anyone else?

CharlesAFerg
03-22-2011, 03:59 PM
This may seem like a weird issue, but bear with me..

Does anybody else get shocked by their car? Specifically, shocked when you put the key to the lock? (No remote locking on my 89)

I swear, every time it's dry outside and I touch metal on my car when I'm entering or exiting, I get shocked. It's quite annoying.

My battery is dead, and I'm home when I wish to be elsewhere, so excuse my mood. Xo

Tiger
03-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Yes, I get that too... I wondered why.

CharlesAFerg
03-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Yes, I get that too... I wondered why.

Xo

whiskychaser
03-23-2011, 04:14 AM
You are charged whereas your battery is not? Sorry, shouldnt make poor jokes. You are probably generating static from contact between your clothing and the upholstery in your house/office. You can try different clothing or antistatic boots. Or just touch a radiator quickly on your way out to the car.

Ross
03-23-2011, 11:00 AM
For some reason this used to be more common. It is from friction of the car in the air and tires on the road.
I did a quick search for "static straps" which used to be the cure and came up empty. They were rubber straps hung usually from the bumper that dragged on the ground disipating static charges. Often these were(over)decorated and became more a fashion item than utilitarian. The straps and the static seem to have fallen out of fashion, I can't explain a reason for the later.
It IS dangerous however when refueling. Touch ground before the gas pump.

ScottyWM
03-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Like Ross said. I have an old pickup truck that shocked the hell out of me unless I got out of the a certain way. Lived with this for years. Noticed when I finally bought some decent new tires I stopped getting shocked!

Ross
03-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Like Ross said. I have an old pickup truck that shocked the hell out of me unless I got out of the a certain way. Lived with this for years. Noticed when I finally bought some decent new tires I stopped getting shocked!

Perhaps modern rubber compounds are the reason this seems to have abated.

Tiger
03-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Maybe that is it... I used to get shocked like crazy... I used to have the cheapo tires... that came with the car.

Perhaps a regular rubber dressing will have static releasing effect... a continuity to the ground.

I think lately, no shocks anymroe... never thought of the tires were the reason.

So Charles... what tires do you have your car now?

jhayregz
03-23-2011, 12:45 PM
This is likely a problem with your clothes rather than your car. Some of you get shocked in the winter, but I get shocked in the summer. Some of you have winter clothes that happen to be conducive to static, so you conclude the cold weather is responsible. Some of us have winter clothes that happen to NOT be conducive to static. Its likely your clothes interacting with the leather seats.

I've found that when you have plastic bags (from the store), grabbing them before getting out and closing your door will increase the shock.

Here's a way to reduce the shock: Touch the metal frame of the car before touching your foot onto the ground. Then make sure your hand stays on the metal until one foot touches. After touching the ground, you can remove your hand, but don't lift your foot. This seems to work, but I've been shocked before even after doing this, but not as often.

Maybe you should get some anti-static spray for your clothes. It might help.

When getting gas, always touch the car before opening your gas tank to discharge the static off your body. As long as you touch any metal with your feet on the ground before opening your gas tank, you SHOULD be mostly safe from getting blown up.

CharlesAFerg
03-23-2011, 01:11 PM
I have high quality tires, Sumitomo HTRZ3s, and we're not "allowed" (lol) to pump our own fuel here in OR. I figured it was my clothes, or rather dry weather(clothes don't always matter), but I've never heard this from anyone else so I was wondering if if was common with our cars or not. The tire dressing is a good idea, although I kind of doubt it will make a difference.. If it worked, though, I'll do it. I just don't like petroleum dressing on my tires, I only use silicone, because petroleum stains my wash mitts and my tires never really look clean. I'm a detailer, and I am much more nit-picky than most, that's why I don't use that stuff.

Tiger
03-23-2011, 01:42 PM
I don't use tire dressing period. Sumitomo is in the same class of that tires I had before...

Jhayregz... no... if I use different car with same clothes and same day, nothing happens. Only the E34 shocked me.