PDA

View Full Version : yep i actually bought it

tim eh?
03-20-2011, 05:55 PM
... made it back, and now i have two parts cars perfect for each other! except it's a different motor. 1992 525i 5spd california car, needs a heater core job :( and lots of other stuff but it's super clean except for one spot that i'll have to show y'all later because i didn't take a good photo. i'm hoping i come out ahead compared to where i'd be if i kept sinking money into my '89. hard to find one anywhere near as clean as this around here, i paid $2400 and i'll find out how much more money i'm going to lose this coming week, and hopefully i'll take some better photos!

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7331&d=1300661115

BigKriss
03-21-2011, 02:07 AM
I wish I could buy a second e34 :(

BennyM
03-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Was this the one with the trunk stuck shut?

tim eh?
03-21-2011, 05:06 PM
no ... that guy... i asked that guy if the fuel tank leaked and he said "well i never put more than $20 in so i don't know if it leaks or not" haha... this one is not without its problems but it runs very well and i got a better look at the underneath and it is super clean... exhaust, steering, brakes and suspension are all really good and interior needs a bit of tlc but is easily fully restorable with the stuff from the other car, i'm pretty happy with it although i need to pass the provincial inspection still so i don't know exactly how happy i am yet. i won't have two cars for long kris, just long enough to get all the good bits off my old one (there are a LOT of good bits) so stay tuned! there is sure to be a whole pile of new threads with questions about how an m50 works.

BennyM
03-22-2011, 12:55 AM
Ahhh. I did this exact thing, only I parted a 92 525i for my 95 525i. The exhaust, rotors and pads, headrest motors, battery, gas cap, all sorts of things transferred over. As for the heater core, that's definitely something you want to get new (just in case you hadn't decided). Definitely take the projector lights off the 89. They're way better than what they put on those 92s.

BMWDriver
03-22-2011, 02:22 PM
What's with the badges? Has the car been repainted from a different color?

tim eh?
03-22-2011, 03:58 PM
no somebody tried to glue them on with something that turned yellow :D definitely swapping the lights!

tim eh?
03-23-2011, 02:06 PM
passed provincial inspection today! failed first time and they made me tow it away :D :( for a leak in the brakes - the little gaskets between the master cylinder and the overflow kinda crazy i had to tow it for the tiniest little leak there but whatever rules is rules i suppose. probably parting the '89 so keep yer eyes peeled if you're looking for bits.... will definitely be swapping over some bits into the '92 so i can't quite say what is for sale or not yet, guess i had better update my sig too.

BMWDriver
03-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Looks like a really nice catch. Hope to see it soon!

Bruno
03-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Congratulation on the purchase tim, there is a wagon for sale for 1000 Cdn in Kijijji also. Are you actually in Ontario?

tim eh?
03-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks Bruno I'm actually in Montreal. I took the train down to look at it and drove it back - that is why I had to pass a provincial inspection because it was plated in Ontario before. I think I saw the ad for that wagon (the '93?) but I was only looking for a sedan... really happy with it, already been offered $4k at the garage yesterday (at this point I will settle for 6 and a half, even I have a price).

BennyM
03-25-2011, 12:29 AM
$4K? Wow, I know where to sell my car when the time comes. The extra 2k would more than pay for the gas, hotel, fine dining, and the flight back to Minnesota.

tim eh?
03-26-2011, 06:14 AM
for $2k here you can buy only a pos. i'm kind of kicking myself, if i had told the guy i paid $5k for it he would have offered me 6 i bet. I bet it would have disappeared fast at $3k(asking price) even in Toronto, i was lucky to have jumped on it on day two i think it was. keep in mind you would have to pass a complete inspection + conform to silly canadian rules like daytime running lights + pay tax + registration so i don't know if it would really pay off to bring a car up here just to sell, the market isn't very busy either (i.e. it's only me)