PDA

View Full Version : Modification help

BF00004
03-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Ok so I am new to BMW and after a month can see why so many people love the E34.

I bought mine a month ago. Its a New Zealand new and a very early HD12 2/89 with VIN of BF00004. Its a factory 535i with 5-speed manual with a few extras, LSD, sunroof, electric memory seats and mirrors, rear head rests, rear blind etc

Ok so I want to enhance the performance a little without changing the car.

I would like to chip it but not sure which one and how good the claims are. I have seen all sorts and all sorts of prices, can I ask whats a good performance one for a stock engine and possibly up the rev limit.

Next I am going to remove the cat and possibly go to just one muffler, is it best to keep the twin system or go to a single system and what size pipe/s to get maximum performance at 3500rpm+

I also have a road going 1970 Holden Torana which I developed with a 3.3litre inline 6 that is my fun car, its done a 12.9@106mph quartermile on street tires so I am not trying for ultimate performance from the 535 but want to improve it. I took it up to over 120mph and found it pulled good but felt it could do better.

One other question, my rev counter stops moving at around 4800rpm but the engine keeps going, it has had a speedo change could it be something simple?

Thanks.

Tiger
03-19-2011, 05:00 PM
MarkD chips are probably the best... you can see his post. He can free teh speed limit and rev limit. He has a sale going on now til end of March.

Exhaust... keep the twin system or go aftermarket like SuperSprint.

Paul in NZ
03-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Ok so I am new to BMW and after a month can see why so many people love the E34.

I bought mine a month ago. Its a New Zealand new and a very early HD12 2/89 with VIN of BF00004. Its a factory 535i with 5-speed manual with a few extras, LSD, sunroof, electric memory seats and mirrors, rear head rests, rear blind etc

Ok so I want to enhance the performance a little without changing the car.

I would like to chip it but not sure which one and how good the claims are. I have seen all sorts and all sorts of prices, can I ask whats a good performance one for a stock engine and possibly up the rev limit.

Next I am going to remove the cat and possibly go to just one muffler, is it best to keep the twin system or go to a single system and what size pipe/s to get maximum performance at 3500rpm+

I also have a road going 1970 Holden Torana which I developed with a 3.3litre inline 6 that is my fun car, its done a 12.9@106mph quartermile on street tires so I am not trying for ultimate performance from the 535 but want to improve it. I took it up to over 120mph and found it pulled good but felt it could do better.

One other question, my rev counter stops moving at around 4800rpm but the engine keeps going, it has had a speedo change could it be something simple?

Thanks.

be careful with chips from overseas.I dont think our cars were ****edit NOT****actually fitted with cats as at that time we were still runnung leaded gas.Our cars will also be lacking a o2 sensor..If you tell mark D the chip number thats in the car he may be able to help.If you get rid of the air flow meter that helps as does a bump of compression,but that not cheap.Look on bimmersport talk to BrentHartage and MR e34

BF00004
03-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Hmmm I have the exact same chip number as he lists and my car came standard with a cat... its listed in the dealer codes.
The Number on the DME 0 261 200 179 which is the same as the EAT chip is for, Is this the same as yours?

VIN long WBAHD120X0BF00004
Type code HD12
Type 535I (EUR)
Dev. series E34 ()
Line 5
Body type LIM
Steering RL
Door count 4
Engine M30
Cubical capacity 3.50
Power 155
Transmision HECK
Gearbox MECH
Colour ALPINWEISS 2 (218)
Upholstery INDIGO LEDER (0293)
Prod. date 1989-02-01

Order options
No. Description
200 KATALYSATOR - ENTFALL
209 LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL (25%)
216 SERVOTRONIC
301 DIEBSTAHLWARNANLAGE MIT ZV
401 SLIDING/VENT ROOF, ELECTRIC
415 SUNBLIND FOR REAR WINDOW
428 WARNING TRIANGLE
459 SEAT ADJUSTM., ELECTR. W. MEMORY
488 LUMBAR SUPPORT DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
489 LUMBAR SUPPORT FOR FRONT PASSENGER
498 HEADRESTS IN REAR, MECHANIC. ADJUSTABLE
500 HEADLIGHT WASHER SYS/INTENSIVE CLEANING
534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
548 SPEEDOMETER WITH KILOMETER READING
560 CO-PILOTS IN RR COMPARTMENT
563 BEL.MAKE-UP SPIEGEL
570 STRONGER ELECTRICITY SUPPLY
676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM
687 RADIO PREPARATION
806 Neuseeland Ausfuehrung
850 ADD FUEL TANK FILLING FOR EXPORT
925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE

genphreak
03-19-2011, 10:29 PM
diyautotune have the latest almost plugnplay Megasquirt conversion finsihed for BMW. Its the most expensive option ($450 odd) but you kill the AFM and have full programmable control over the engine, the latest and greatest engine management you can buy and flexibility to do all or any mods in future... from my pov, this is the way to go. In order of cost... EAT<MillerMAF<Megasquirt without a doubt these solutions are the best you can buy for your type of BMW...

LunatiC
03-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Order option 200 in that list of yours is KATALYSATOR - ENTFALL. Katalysator is the catalytic converter, and entfall is german for 'eliminated' or 'deleted'.

So if your E34 has a cat, it was installed later on, so it wasn't there from the factory.

Paul in NZ
03-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Hmmm I have the exact same chip number as he lists and my car came standard with a cat... its listed in the dealer codes.
The Number on the DME 0 261 200 179 which is the same as the EAT chip is for, Is this the same as yours?

VIN long WBAHD120X0BF00004
Type code HD12
Type 535I (EUR)
Dev. series E34 ()
Line 5
Body type LIM
Steering RL
Door count 4
Engine M30
Cubical capacity 3.50
Power 155
Transmision HECK
Gearbox MECH
Colour ALPINWEISS 2 (218)
Upholstery INDIGO LEDER (0293)
Prod. date 1989-02-01

Order options
No. Description
209 LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL (25%)
216 SERVOTRONIC
301 DIEBSTAHLWARNANLAGE MIT ZV
401 SLIDING/VENT ROOF, ELECTRIC
415 SUNBLIND FOR REAR WINDOW
428 WARNING TRIANGLE
459 SEAT ADJUSTM., ELECTR. W. MEMORY
488 LUMBAR SUPPORT DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
489 LUMBAR SUPPORT FOR FRONT PASSENGER
498 HEADRESTS IN REAR, MECHANIC. ADJUSTABLE
500 HEADLIGHT WASHER SYS/INTENSIVE CLEANING
534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
548 SPEEDOMETER WITH KILOMETER READING
560 CO-PILOTS IN RR COMPARTMENT
563 BEL.MAKE-UP SPIEGEL
570 STRONGER ELECTRICITY SUPPLY
676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM
687 RADIO PREPARATION
806 Neuseeland Ausfuehrung
850 ADD FUEL TANK FILLING FOR EXPORT
925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE

i edited my post we do NOT have a cat..my car has the same "option"

BF00004
03-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Order option 200 in that list of yours is KATALYSATOR - ENTFALL. Katalysator is the catalytic converter, and entfall is german for 'eliminated' or 'deleted'.

So if your E34 has a cat, it was installed later on, so it wasn't there from the factory.
Thanks lunatic, Hmmm the plot thickens, I assumed I was looking at a cat when it was up on the hoist the other day. It has 3 muffler shaped things and even the place I was at thought it was a cat. Maybe a factory refit? I better look at the service history.

I am more confused at what to do now :)

genphreak
03-20-2011, 02:21 AM
It is a muffler of sorts. The e34s exhaust is one example of the incredible engineering that went into these cars. It is expensive, heavy adn does the job like no other. Even the best aftermarket exhaust sacrifice a lot of 'tune' to achieve 'better performance' (eg harmonics, flow and turbulence, sound in numerous situations/environments, economy, emissions etc.). If you look at an M5, where no expense is spared in getting maximum power form an NI engine, and comapre it's exhaust system to yours you will see that every part of the system is only slightly different. Most people don't appreciate this, but I reckon it's pretty cool ;)

Note also, the good tuners (Alpina, etc.) didn't change very much of the exhaust despite pretty major engine mods, back in the days when they were out to maximise power too.

Any e34 built without a catalyst has a simple muffler in its place. it is designed to maintain the efficiency of the system when it is installed without the catalytic converters. So don't worry about it, and rejoice- an e34 without the catalyst, and the right tune, will net "mo' powaugh" than one without, but the exhaust will be really smelly and the right fuel might be hard to come by/expensive (at least, it is here).

Also note that your ECU, some wiring, and the cam is different too.

To convert to catalyst you would have to install a replacement ECU and engine pipe from an e34 with the same type of engine, (the catalyst and o2 sensor is part of that whole front pipe), though you would be wise to buy a new O2 sensor (perhaps $60). Then, you could use normal unleaded fuel. If you go with a Miller Performance MAF, or a Megasquirt you'll be keen to use 95-98 octane fuel, so this'd be sensible.

Most people want to go the other way, however it is not all cool, you end up with a stinky car and may have trouble finding cheap, quality fuel. A better option if you value such practicality might be LPG. The sequential variable systems are best, and an M20 or M30 is an easy car to adapt. With fuel going up... this is an increasingly better option.

Wallabee
03-20-2011, 02:42 AM
Your car's spec's sound like mine (BF00199), which is a 535is Australian delivery; 5 speed manual, LSD, lower suspension, 'Recaro' style sports seats with better leather, M Technic bumpers and skirts. A great car to work up. I'd recommend a Miller MAF which comes with a chip to replace the 'barn door' air flow meter. This made a sinificant improvement to the mid range pulling power on my car.
See Miller MAF (http://millerperformancecars.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58&category_id=6&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=30) These are great value. Don't expect any better fuel economy though. I've put newer style fuel injectors in too.
Also ditch the twin mass flywheel and replace with a lighter flywheel and clutch from an earlier 735 M30, eg E23. I've mildly ported and polished the head on mine for a slight improvement, but the stock M30 heads flow pretty well.Before the Miller chip my car had a PowerChip Gold, but the Miller chip brought improved performance.

Have fun! Colin.

BF00004
03-23-2011, 01:27 AM
Thanks genphreak and Wallabee, I will now leave my exhaust alone and may look for some prices for other things, but to be honest I am not too worried as I have my 12 second 202 Torana which is enough fun for me, the BMW is my daily driver so it may just stay stock as a rock unless I sell my Torana.