PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem

crowegreg
03-16-2011, 03:11 PM
My 92 E34 with 166000 miles has been located in Denver CO for the last 2 years. On a recent morning, when the temperature was in the 20's during the night, I had difficulty starting it. Usually I turn the key, and it fires right up. On this morning I had to put my foot on the accelerator, and with applying different amounts of pressure, the auto finally started. Once it was started, the engine ran like normal.
A few days later, I encountered the same problem, but I was unable to get it started. With the amount of cranking I've tried, the battery is starting to get low. So before I try anything else, I'm needing to charge the battery. Any suggestions on determining what my original problem is?

Tiger
03-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Jump start the car... see if it starts normally.

crowegreg
03-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Already tried that, it just cranks.

Tiger
03-16-2011, 04:23 PM
So starter spin is normal speed... it is not starter nor battery.

Next step is fuel pump... make sure the fuel pump does hum... or if you can... check fuel pressure.

How warm is it where you are?

Last thought is crankshaft position sensor.

crowegreg
03-16-2011, 04:45 PM
I can hear the buzz of the fuel pump. I don't have any tools to check the fuel pressue, I'm assuming the problem is not fuel related. When this problem first occured, after starting, it ran like normal.

We're warmer now. Our days are in the 50's - 60's.

In the Bentley manual, where would I locate the crankshaft position sensor?

Tiger
03-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Seems to be CPS in your case... Crank Position Sensor...

Look at the main crank pulley on the engine... see the cogs in the back? Now look for the sensor that lines up with the cogs... should be on top of the pulley... closer to engine block.

If engine is hot... pour cold water on that sensor and it should start if it is still half alive... give a tap with something and see if engine will start.

crowegreg
03-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks. I haven't tried to start it in about a week. I'll try what you recommend tonight, and reply back.

ahlem
03-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Massive vacuum leak in any of the intake rubber parts? What does the spark look like at the plugs?

crowegreg
03-17-2011, 11:19 AM
As expected, I had to put the battery on the charger last night. I tried to locate the CPS, and I'm having difficulty. Can you provide me with a little more detail. Is it easier to reach from the top or the bottom of the engine? Do I have to remove any cover or parts to expose this item?

Tiger
03-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Use powerful flashlight to locate it.

https://www.autohausaz.com/search/imageexpand.aspx?imageurl=../secure/PartImages/12141726066.jpg