PDA

View Full Version : Anyone replaced their AC receiver/drier?

Don (Ireland)
06-16-2004, 05:15 AM
I've read that it requires changing every 2 to 3 years and I don't know if it has ever been changed. There are no really bad odours from the AC although it can be a but musty sometimes. BMW quote around $150 for a new unit, is this the only way to go? Worth doing.....any thoughts?

Thanks,

Don
95 525iA

Mr Project
06-16-2004, 10:24 AM
The receiver/dryer is for the sealed refrigerant system, so if your A/C is still cold, I wouldn't mess with it. Musty odors would be from the vents/evaporator/microfilter, not from inside the sealed refrigerant system. (at least from a likelyhood standpoint)

The only real reason to replace the drier at this point would be if you have to open the system to replace a component like the compressor or condensor.

632 Regal
06-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Right, the only time you have to replace it is when you service the system and it is open. The drier is the very last componant that you would replace in the system and immediatley vacumme the air and moisture out, then the drier takes care of any residual moisture that would contaminate the oil. If you dont replace it if the system is open your system will fail, if you unseal the drier, let it sit around your system will fail.

So to answer your question you do not need to periodicly replace it unless your system has a leak and ran out of charge.