PDA

View Full Version : Check Control Display Vehicle Self Test question

pundit
03-10-2011, 07:05 PM
My understand of the self diagnosis vehicle test is as follows..

BMW NR = BMW delivery number
CODE. NR = Coding Plug Number
K-ZAHL = Speedometer Correction
F.G.NR = VIN (Last seven digits)
SW.VERS. = Cluster Software Version
AND. INDEX = Fuel adjustment

The display in my 1992 525i Touring comes up with the following coding plug number....

"CODE. NR 0000"

Now I can confirm the coding plug has been changed for a plug from an E34 530 Saloon.

My question is why would the coding plug number appear as "0000"?

shogun
03-10-2011, 10:52 PM
I assume the chip is corrupted/broken.

myles
03-11-2011, 02:42 PM
I went through the same thing with my 535. I ended up waiting until I found another manual 535 at a wrecker and took the whole cluster from it. My car had an e32 735 cluster and plug in it. It was expensive, but i had no other option. These days Ive figured out how to reprogram some things in the coding plug, so I've made it report that the vin is now correct. All other details should be ok as it was a correct match for my car. Good luck with your search.

whiskychaser
03-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Be interested to learn who you made it report the correct vin.

pundit
03-11-2011, 04:43 PM
I went through the same thing with my 535. I ended up waiting until I found another manual 535 at a wrecker and took the whole cluster from it. My car had an e32 735 cluster and plug in it. It was expensive, but i had no other option. These days Ive figured out how to reprogram some things in the coding plug, so I've made it report that the vin is now correct. All other details should be ok as it was a correct match for my car. Good luck with your search.

When I first picked up the car I felt the tachometer was reading low. (1450RPM @ 100kmh)
Then when I fitted the OBC from my 535i and added the OBC auxilary horn relay I also felt the fuel consumption readings were way out even after attempting to alter the fuel correction factor.

Further investigation show the coding plug is not the original one for the 525i Touring but from a E34 530 M60 Sedan.
This of course is the reason the tacho is reading about 25% low and the fuel consumption calibration is impossible to get right.

Another result of this is the odometer has been 'clocked' back. :(

pundit
03-11-2011, 04:45 PM
I assume the chip is corrupted/broken.

As the plug has been changed 'corrupted' appears an apt description!
I hope you are OK over there in Japan.

pundit
03-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Be interested to learn who you made it report the correct vin.

???? Not sure what you mean?
The VIN does not match my car.
The coding plug has been swapped from another E34 (530 Sedan).

pundit
03-11-2011, 05:10 PM
I priced a replacement plug from a dealer... $419!
It has to be recoded in Germany before being shipped out.
The problem is the odometer reading will begin from zero.

whiskychaser
03-11-2011, 05:22 PM
???? Not sure what you mean?
The VIN does not match my car.
The coding plug has been swapped from another E34 (530 Sedan).
Ive figured out how to reprogram some things in the coding plug, so I've made it report that the vin is now correct.
I took this to mean that you had some how worked out how to make the chip show the correct VIN of your car. My apologies

pundit
03-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Ive figured out how to reprogram some things in the coding plug, so I've made it report that the vin is now correct.
I took this to mean that you had some how worked out how to make the chip show the correct VIN of your car. My apologies

No problem.
I haven't touched the coding plug.
I just carried out the self test and it showed up as being from a completely different vehicle.
Anyway the vehicle data is incorrect so my tacho and fuel consumption readings are wrong along with the VIN.

whiskychaser
03-14-2011, 09:48 AM
You will need your ZCS label if somebody just swapped the cluster. Its supposed to be in the fuse box lid on an E34 but of course it is not in mine:( If you find it plse post where it was