PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Entry/Alarm question

pundit
02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
I have a 1992 525i Touring (Australian Delivery)
It was fitted with an after-market keyless immobiliser that was mounted under the driver's side dash and the factory wiring had been cut and spliced in order to fit it.

I have since removed it and restored the original wiring as this keyless system was randomly locking the car without any user input and also causing intermittent non starting issues.

I would however like to replace it with something more reliable that integrates with the factory electrics.

It appears US delivered E34's were fitted with Alpine anti theft keyless systems (or pre-wired for them).
The US cars had a 12 pin connector mounted under the rear seat near the battery.
Mine does not have this connector.

I am considering one of these kits...

BMW E34 & M5 ALARM, KEYLESS & COMFORT LOCK w/ FLIP KEYS - eBay (item 350443548521 end time Mar-29-11 20:38:57 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350443548521)

It is designed to be 'plug n play' on US spec E34's.

I have a Bentley manual and looking at the wiring diagram I will need to make some connections between the keyless/alarm module and the General module under the rear seat.

I have no problem with auto electrics, I would however like to hear from anyone who has done this themselves. Remember this E34 is RHD drive. - TIA

Grantus
03-02-2011, 01:33 AM
Given that you wont be fitting as a 'plug in" option, I think there are much cheaper units out there with the same features.

Many aftermarket units are mass produced in China and branded to suit the reseller in whatever country they operate.

I have an aftermarket system a couple of years old with virtually the same remotes. The profile of the key blank wont neccessarily fit your car anyway.

For a very similar alarm at around 10% of the price, check Ebay item 130489897165, or visit the Trademe site in NZ and check the alarms available there.

Many alarm warranties are valid only if professionally fitted.

Good Luck!

pundit
03-02-2011, 06:36 AM
Thanks Grantus. I'll check out your suggestions.
I still have the old keyless/immobilser module.
It was working but had some gremlins which caused intermittant non starting and erratic central locking behavior.
It's a no name module and I was unable to discover any information about it to even workout what all the functions do and the terminal pinouts.