PDA

View Full Version : New fuel pump...

genphreak
02-28-2011, 05:37 AM
After making my poor M50 run like poo for a year, its time to change out the furl pump (It finally gave up). Jumpered the relay and no noise. Nada.

Bought one of these puppies (http://treperformance.com/i-656-bmw-255-lph-fuel-pump-many-years-and-models.html) from treperformance. They're only $70 at the moment. That's a sweet price.

Does anyone know if they are made in China or are they home grown US units?

I pulled the pump from my 88 535 (plastic tank) to compare. Was really impressed with it, the pump came out really well after 24 years... plastic felt good, wasn't brittle, all the wires and hoses were good. No gunk even on the input screen. It's a pity all connectors and pieces on the car don't last like that!

Turned out the 525i had a metal tank, so the 535i will get its pump back :).

The metal tank must gives the 525i a fair bit more weight at the rear. Thinking I might get a plastic tank for it one day... take some weight out! It'll be interesting to compare the state of the inside of the metal tank- I'm expecrting some corrosion.

Will put the battery under the rear seat one day too...

BennyM
03-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Mine is about dead as well. I'm curious to hear if others have had success with these replacement pumps.