PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Console Repair 1989 535i Part 2

Newbie535i
06-15-2004, 11:10 PM
Hello,

I removed my Instrument Console, changed bulbs, capacitors checked out and after re-installing the console, I still have intermittent fuel economy gauge, temperature gauge and fuel gauge activity. Aside from a shorted cable, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I checked all the fuses. Thank you.

Bellicose Right Winger
06-16-2004, 06:27 AM
How did you check capacitors? Shorts? Opens? High ESR?

Paul Shovestul

Hello,

I removed my Instrument Console, changed bulbs, capacitors checked out and after re-installing the console, I still have intermittent fuel economy gauge, temperature gauge and fuel gauge activity. Aside from a shorted cable, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I checked all the fuses. Thank you.

jm529
06-16-2004, 09:40 AM
newbie, i'm in the same boat as you. i posted about this yesterday. i'm gonna try replacing the coding plug and see what happens. let me know if you find out anything.

Giles_l
06-16-2004, 10:38 AM
If I were you I would re-flow the solder on all connections in cluster and coding plug. Had the very same intermitant problems on my E30 M3 and on close inspection priore to re soldering most joints in the board were cracked due to the dash gettingf pretty hot i guess.

Good luck,

Giles

Warren N.CA
06-16-2004, 11:34 AM
That is to replace it with a new one. If your car is like mine, there are about a dozen electrolytic capacitors in the cluster. Until you have replaced all of these with new units, you have not made a 100% effort to repair your cluster. There is no guaranty that replacing capacitors will fix it, but that needs to be done to eliminate the possibility of bad caps. Bad caps routinely "test" good.

Hello,

jm529
06-16-2004, 03:02 PM
newbie, if you need a coding plug we're out of luck. i just talked to the dealer and they said it was discontinued for 89 535i. i don't know what to do now??

Newbie535i
06-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Well, I'm not too good at soldering, so I'm going to have to find someone to do it for me, I don't want to mess it up. Alternatively, maybe a junk yard will have the instrument console or coding plug, my mechanic says he can get me a replacement console for 150, maybe that's the best way to go, I'll ask him what his source is for coding plugs (if any) and let you know.