PDA

View Full Version : swapping to a metric cluster

tim eh?
02-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Hey has anyone ever swap a coding plug from a standard cluster into a metric cluster or vice versa and get the odometer to convert? just wondering... might buy a US car - thanks all.

whiskychaser
02-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Changed mine from km to mph and retained the original chip. You just swap the back off one one set and put it on the other. Works fine. It still shows distance run in km though.

tim eh?
02-09-2011, 02:00 PM
sweet thanks a lot wc - by the back i assume you mean the whole thing including the circuit board on the back side? i could just switch the speed dial for that also i think. the car i'm looking at has 240,000 miles lol that's going to look pretty good in kms if i can figure out the odometer switch.

whiskychaser
02-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Did it when I got the car about 5 years ago. I just removed the blue back panel which holds the chip (and the board you mentioned) and swapped it over. So I've got large mph on the outer dial and small kmph on the inner. But distance run on the LED is still km. I liked the old metric clocks that said fuel in litres though.
Did a lot of searching at the time and couldnt find a way to make the LED read miles. But all my service history, MOTs etc are in km so I thought it best to leave well alone:-)