PDA

View Full Version : P.A.S. Fluid warning 95 525

Tim Palmer
02-06-2011, 04:14 AM
I get a gong warning 'P.A.S. Fluid - Owner Manual' at start up and turn off. Power steering resevoir is full and appears to be a good colour and consistency. Supplied Owners Manual does not list this warning. Steering seems to be ok. I've had an opinion that it could be to do with self leveling suspension (not fitted to this model (Australian delivery1995 525i Executive)) and maybe a computer error. Would appreciate advice if anyone has had this problem or have thoughts or suggestions for cause and remedy.

genphreak
02-06-2011, 05:29 AM
If it is the wrong fluid, you may get it?

The car either uses Dexron/Mercon (ATF), or synthetic CHF11S as per LAD and other cars. Check your manual adn/or the reervoir cap to know. If CHF11S, drain it all out and replace it with CHF11S as some PO/one probably polluted it at some point...

Tim Palmer
02-07-2011, 04:27 AM
The reservoir cap says ATF and I've added less than a quarter of a cup of ATF a couple months ago (ie it wasn't really low then) but still the same warning. Agree, could be due to contaminated fluid. I am wondering now whether this car (95 525i Exec) has Self Levelling Suspension. I've presumed no. Do you know how to tell? Do you know where the fluid sensor is? Thanks for interest.

Bo525i
02-07-2011, 06:38 AM
Look under your car, close to the rear shocks.. If you have Self Levelling Suspension there´s 2 bomblike round cans mounted up there!

Looks like this: FIXES - LAD (http://twrite.org/shogunnew/fixes/lad.html#LAD_Adjustment_) (thx Shogun!)

If they´re up there, you need to use Pentosin CHS 11S and not ATF and then that could be the reason for your warning!

Tim Palmer
02-08-2011, 05:05 AM
Thanks for that. No bombs. I since found on pages 330 - 10/11 of the Bentley manual (which I discovered last night) that you can tell depending on the different types of reservoirs for LAD and non LAD.