PDA

View Full Version : changed head gasket~now engine will not start

nopce
06-15-2004, 07:43 PM
recently, my '90 525i overheated, resulting in a blown head gasket. I brought the cylinder head to be inspected; no warpage or cracks. Now it's torqued down and everything's rebuilt. spark-plugs smell of gas and starter cranks beautifully: the engine just won't turn over. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Martin in Bellevue
06-15-2004, 07:57 PM
Is the timing is set correctly?

Unregistered
06-15-2004, 08:27 PM
Is the timing is set correctly?
timing is set; oh and the plugs have a spark

George M
06-15-2004, 08:28 PM
check the basic stuff...double check the cam timing as Martin suggested. Check to see if you are getting a spark...sounds like you are getting plenty of fuel to your cylinders. Double check your CPS if you had it off.
You'll figure it out.
George

George M
06-15-2004, 08:30 PM
hmm...if you are getting spark and fuel...should fire. Check to see if you have the plug wires connected in proper sequence to the distributor cap...easy to make a mistake there.

nopce
06-15-2004, 08:40 PM
took the easy way and left the plug wires connected to the disributor
the rotor is in good condition as well

ryan roopnarine
06-15-2004, 09:07 PM
perhaps when you tried to start it, it stored an error code? have you tried/are you familiar with the stomp test? if you left something critical disconnected the computer should try to complain when you start the car.

nopce
06-15-2004, 11:33 PM
everything's connected properly, i am curious though if perhaps the computer somehow has something to do with it, since everything was disconnected. Assumingly i am unfamiliar w/ the stomp test
the car sounds as if it wants to start but won't turn over. the battery has plenty of juice when attempting to start and the obc doesn't say anything abnormal i.e. (key ignition, etc.)

rbeaud
06-15-2004, 11:37 PM
I had a similar issue when restarting my 90 525iA after the same repair. After adding gas :), I was unable to start the engine. Checked everything, called a car savy buddy. No luck until we bypassed the coolant sensor with a piece of wire. Our guess is that, for whatever reason, the coolant sensor was indicating an overheating condition.

Started up and ran fine.

Cheers,

Roland

recently, my '90 525i overheated, resulting in a blown head gasket. I brought the cylinder head to be inspected; no warpage or cracks. Now it's torqued down and everything's rebuilt. spark-plugs smell of gas and starter cranks beautifully: the engine just won't turn over. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff N.
06-16-2004, 12:05 AM
Sounds a lot like a disconnected or incorrectly adjusted crank position sensor. No sure about the M50, but on the M30 the CPS needs to be within 1mm of the triggering wheel.

I'd go back and double check all your wiring connections. CPS, injector harness plugs, coil wires, etc. Bet somethings not fully plugged in.

Anton CH.
06-16-2004, 12:26 AM
How long did you crank it for? Maybe it just takes a while to get some gas into those injectors.

bal3056
06-16-2004, 10:48 AM
I had similar problems with my E34 M20 engine. It went in for a respray and leather refurbishing work. Since the car was not started for more than 2 weeks, it could only crank and not fire-up. Tried until battery went flat, changed battery, still cannot start. feels like gonna start, but won't budge. got fed-up, took the plugs out and changed all 6 of them (new ones), and wholla!! it firedup perfectly and NEVER had any problem since. It appears that the plugs get fouled up after sitting for some time. Similar thing happened to 2 of my friends, and after my advise, they changed plugs and they, too, were satisfied.
Would you like to try that?
HM
E34 520i Auto M20
Malaysia

Hector
06-16-2004, 10:58 AM
check the gas for quality: condensation... If the vehicles has been outta commission for a while, this could be a cause. Also check if you have proper fuel pressure.

everything's connected properly, i am curious though if perhaps the computer somehow has something to do with it, since everything was disconnected. Assumingly i am unfamiliar w/ the stomp test
the car sounds as if it wants to start but won't turn over. the battery has plenty of juice when attempting to start and the obc doesn't say anything abnormal i.e. (key ignition, etc.)

Warren N.CA
06-16-2004, 11:18 AM
When E34s are allowed to run out of fuel, and then one gallon is put in from a can, the car will not start. It needs to have more gas put in it than a gallon. So, if the tank is low, you might try adding more fuel.

Unregistered
06-16-2004, 03:51 PM
I bet it's your tire pressure. That always happens with the 90.