PDA

View Full Version : Frozen lock 1991 535i

misfortune
02-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Here in texas it's in the teens and my doorlock froze in my parking lot. I spent about 45 minutes attempting to unlock the door but no dice. The manual unlock won't work on either door and the key won't even fit into the back trunk lock.

Any tips for when I go out there tomorrow?

Any of these worth trying? How to Unfreeze a Frozen Car Door Lock | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_4689334_unfreeze-frozen-car-door-lock.html)

whiskychaser
02-03-2011, 04:18 AM
Here in texas it's in the teens .

That threw me for a minute until I realised you meant F not C. I carry a lighter and have used that to heat the key with good results. Dont see many people carrying a hair dryer and where would you plug it in?:-) Main thing is get some oil in there to stop it happening again.

Mr._Graybeard
02-03-2011, 02:51 PM
My E34 has door lock heaters. Pull the handle up and hold it for a minute and see what happens.

Edit: Once you do get the lock freed up, Mercedes Benz has a lock cylinder grease that will displace any moisture and lubricate the workings. It comes in an aerosol can with a fitting that inserts into the key slot. It's MB part No. A 001 989 26 51 10.