PDA

View Full Version : HID help

Kennan
06-15-2004, 06:34 PM
I would like to get this kit
http://www.umnitza.com/product_info.php?cPath=88&products_id=222
but after emailing them, they recommend that I do a complete headlight replacement. Can I just get the kit without buying anything else?

I have a '92 525i, but not sure what type of projectors I have. After doing a search, some say that it will be okay while others recommend against it.

BigD
06-15-2004, 08:08 PM
If you have the "eyeball" lowbeams, you're ok. But yours is a '92, like my m5, which had the regular lowbeams (they look similar to the highbeams, no clear dot in the middle) and these are not projectors. I am changing mine to projectors (known as ellipsoids) for the HID kit.

Kennan
06-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Where can I purchase US ellipsoids? And how much can I expect to pay?

Tiger
06-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Forget about US ellipsoid... get euro ellipsoid... $180 on ebay for a pair of complete headlight assembly.

BigD
06-16-2004, 09:27 AM
No need for Euro's with an HID kit. Wasting $. As long as you have projectors you're fine. If you can wait about a week you'll see what 6000K's look like in US ellipsoids.

Boggie1688
06-16-2004, 01:09 PM
This is interesting...because I was thinking about this myself...

I have the non projection lights on my 91' 525i...and I wanted to get a $400 hid kit for my car with Phillips bulbs...but then someone sent me this link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2481659496&category=6763&sspagename=WDVW
Those are the EURO ones...and they look nice and are only 170 when you buy them...
Oh BTW Also found these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7905600072&category=6763&sspagename=WDVW
THEY GOT ANGLE EYE lights now! ... better than the chessy ones you buy and put on...and risk having a rock fly up and hit it...now they are inside the light encasing I think...

Anywayz...do you guys think its a good idea to get these projection lights...then install the hid kit? Instead of just getting the HID Kit?

Tiger
06-16-2004, 01:30 PM
and U know 6000K has less light output than a 4300K?

BigD
06-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Yep. I don't know why people mention this as a drawback. Make it sound as though the tiny loss in brightness makes them dim. It's not like they're tinted. I haven't installed them yet but I tried plugging them in to see what the color is like. Well the color is very nice and I had yellow spots in my eyes for hours from a second of looking at them from a meter away. :P 4300's are supposedly a bit brighter (I didn't see any difference) but they're pretty much completely white. You still get a drammatic improvement for night driving (and this can't be described, you have to try, it's spectacular) and that nice deep blue color. I just hope the projector won't refract it in a way that it will screw up the color badly.

and U know 6000K has less light output than a 4300K?

bimmerd00d
06-16-2004, 03:57 PM
almost all 91-93 cars had US non ellipsoids. for HID's you want the US ellipsoids, as the Euros are a waste of money, and the cutoff is not quite as good. You can find a set of US ellipsoids probably on here from someone who upgraded to euros for whatever reason.

Kennan
06-16-2004, 04:50 PM
This is interesting...because I was thinking about this myself...

I have the non projection lights on my 91' 525i...and I wanted to get a $400 hid kit for my car with Phillips bulbs...but then someone sent me this link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2481659496&category=6763&sspagename=WDVW
Those are the EURO ones...and they look nice and are only 170 when you buy them...
Oh BTW Also found these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7905600072&category=6763&sspagename=WDVW
THEY GOT ANGLE EYE lights now! ... better than the chessy ones you buy and put on...and risk having a rock fly up and hit it...now they are inside the light encasing I think...

Anywayz...do you guys think its a good idea to get these projection lights...then install the hid kit? Instead of just getting the HID Kit?

Yeah, I saw those too, but am unsure about getting them. If you have US non-ellipsoids and get the HIDs, then potentially the light pattern will be all over the place.

BigD, how much did you get your projectors for?

Tiger
06-16-2004, 06:32 PM
BMA list $112 per side.. so that's $224 just for a pair of low beam headlight.

BigD
06-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I saw those too, but am unsure about getting them. If you have US non-ellipsoids and get the HIDs, then potentially the light pattern will be all over the place.

BigD, how much did you get your projectors for?

I don't have them in yet. The engine will be put in next week, that's when he'll also put in a pair of projectors. He has his own source for them. He says it's a "good price" and I take his word for it. :p

TC535i
06-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Yep. I don't know why people mention this as a drawback. Make it sound as though the tiny loss in brightness makes them dim. It's not like they're tinted. I haven't installed them yet but I tried plugging them in to see what the color is like. Well the color is very nice and I had yellow spots in my eyes for hours from a second of looking at them from a meter away. :P 4300's are supposedly a bit brighter (I didn't see any difference) but they're pretty much completely white. You still get a drammatic improvement for night driving (and this can't be described, you have to try, it's spectacular) and that nice deep blue color. I just hope the projector won't refract it in a way that it will screw up the color badly.

Not true... LOTS of the 6000k+ kits out there ARE tinted. If you can find the Phillips "Ultinon" bulbs (what I have in my E30 right now), they are a higher color temperature with a clear glass casing. However, most of the cheap kits (basically, anything under $400) that claims higher than 4300k, does this by tinting the bulb.

TC535i
06-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Forget about US ellipsoid... get euro ellipsoid... $180 on ebay for a pair of complete headlight assembly.

Yeah, plus $45 shipping, unless you're looking at a different auction?

BigD
06-17-2004, 07:41 AM
Not true... LOTS of the 6000k+ kits out there ARE tinted. If you can find the Phillips "Ultinon" bulbs (what I have in my E30 right now), they are a higher color temperature with a clear glass casing. However, most of the cheap kits (basically, anything under $400) that claims higher than 4300k, does this by tinting the bulb.

Could be, that's just crap. Might as well buy tinted halogens. Mine are from McCulloch and are clear.

Boggie1688
06-17-2004, 11:15 AM
What is up with all this concern with light pattern diffraction?

Is the concern with the euro ellipsoids in general? or is the concern when you install the HID kit?

I keep thinking about this in my head...and I don't get it...if they use the euro ellipsiods on 525i in euro then why worry about the light pattern? of the projected light? won't the pattern be the same as even if its in the usa or not? LOL I dunno if understanding right or not...

What I imagine when you guys say light pattern diffraction...is the light waves emitted from the bulb hitting the inside walls of the projection lamp...then making their way out the lens...and to the road...now when you say pattern..I'm guessing that the light waves...have a certain set path or pattern they follow...to reach the lens then the road right? Now..the only thing that would affect the light pattern would be the bulb size? No? But even if the blub is larger than the ones they use in euro still most of the light waves emitted will still managed to follow the path right? I really don't understand this light pattern diffraction stuff...I didn't doo soo well on my AP physics test...managed to cheat my way through the class...but I understood most of it in theory..just never really....memorized the formulas...

Can someone explain this to me? Its rocking my noggin...

Edit: OH WAIT are u guys concerned about wave interference since the light will be bouncing around the projection lamp...you can have light waves that cause distructive interference?? Is that it? HELP I wish I had my physics book right now....

BigD
06-17-2004, 02:00 PM
The lamp is not a simple box of mirror and glass. It is designed to provide a specific pattern of light, and cut off above a certain point so as to not blind oncoming traffic. The Euro light pattern is different. I can't remember how exactly anymore, but with HIDs it doesn't matter.

With regards to the color, the projector will refract the light to concentrate it where it wants but as you may remember different light wavelengths have different refractive indexes so the projector will also alter the color a little. This is why all stock HIDs are 4300K (which are pretty much white out of the bulb) but appear blue or purple. Blue/violet light rays bend the most and that's what you see coming up out of the car, even though the light on the ground is white. This is why the rule of thumb is if it is at all possible, retrofit an OEM HID housing into the car because it is the best possible way to do it. But, I hear on our cars with US projectors, HID kits work very well. And the 6000K color from the bulb should help the color be pretty. I'll find out next week.

Boggie1688
06-17-2004, 02:44 PM
Well...if the pattern is different is that bad? cuz like if the patterns work for them in europe...then they should work here right? or are we concerned about the way the pattern will be affected by the different bulb?

What do u mean the pattern doesn't matter with HIDS? sry about all the questions...because this is something i'm going to be doing to my car very soon...and I don't wanna screw anything up and waste money....

BigD
06-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Whatever the pattern is, I know it's much better than the US. the reason for this is that the lighting standards in Europe are much better. That being said, if you install euro lights here, and run across a cop that's an E34 fan and knows they are euro you will get a ticket because they are not approved. Of course, the odds of that are stupid. Another supposed improvement of the euro lights is the little additional bulb in the "smile". But I think it's useless.

I say the pattern doesn't matter with HIDs because they emit so much light. Even if one has a slightly better or worse pattern, you're still going to be lighting up everything you need to see.

When I put them in I will post pics of the lights (along with everything else) so you can see how they look for yourself.

Boggie1688
06-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Ok I know its only been like 1 day...but I can't wait to see BIGD's new lights...BIGD can u give us an ETA of the pics? Otherwise I'm gunna go crazy hitting the refresh button my broswer...

BigD
06-19-2004, 08:16 PM
The engine will be done monday, then my mechanic says he'll need 3-4 days to put it in when he gets it, so I hope to have everything done by Friday to show off to local bimmer nuts. But weekend for sure. I'm going to BimmerFest East so it has to be done by a week Thursday.

I have the complete story with too many huge pictures here, which is updated before anyone else except those involved firsthand:
http://www.strengthandhonor.ca/repair/

Boggie1688
06-20-2004, 02:43 AM
WOW...I have to wait a whole 6 days until I can see the lights... :(

But its ok...I'll be in vegas for 3 days...I should be able to find something(s) to keep my mind busy...and off cars....hehehe

535ise
06-20-2004, 12:38 PM
I'm going to be breaking my UK E34 soon,are these the light's that you US guy's want ?

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/8444/HPIM0269.jpg

Boggie1688
06-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Yea...thast what we wanna see...sorta..but we wanna see them with HIDs installed..and perferably ON soo we can see what it looks like...:D

1992 BMW 535i
06-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Anyone ever try these:

http://www.bavauto.com/assets/imglib500/AE_KIT.jpg

"Angel Eyes" upgrade kit gives your BMW the latest look. The kit consists of four "angel eyes", two compact ballasts, one relay and a wiring harness.Installation is a relatively simple procedure that involves attaching the rings to your headlamps, running the wires and splicing into your headlight harness. Typical installation time is about 90 minutes. The "angel eyes" are attached using clear silicone adhesive (not included). Three dabs is all you need * two at the top and one at the bottom. We recommend using standard wattage bulbs in your headlamps to avoid potential issues related to excess heat. Also, for headlights that are not housed inside a cover, we recommend our clear headlight protection covers to defend the "angel eyes" against damage or vandalism. Fits 3 series 84-98, 5 series 82-95, 6 Series thru 89, 7 series 82-94,and X5

Boggie1688
06-21-2004, 05:27 PM
Um....

Can you give me the link to the product...and not the picture? How does that work? thats a whole light unit....not just the lense....and the 525i 91' have grills....do U remove the grils to get that entire unit in? I wanna see what it looks like installed..

06-21-2004, 07:04 PM
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Boggie1688
06-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Sry but I simply can't find them on there for a bmw 525i 1991...he said there were for the bmw 82-95..

Also after futhur reading...I think I've seen this product somewhere before....yes the work for almost any bmws....but...for the 525i there is no housing that holds the lenses....soo the AEs are actually taped onto the lenses....which are exposed to the rocks and crap that fly up from cars infront of you....I know i've seen this somewhere...the pic you gave was the product installed on the lights of a new bmw...with the lights inside a housing..I think

Can someone confirm?

TC535i
06-21-2004, 10:04 PM
Sry but I simply can't find them on there for a bmw 525i 1991...he said there were for the bmw 82-95..

Also after futhur reading...I think I've seen this product somewhere before....yes the work for almost any bmws....but...for the 525i there is no housing that holds the lenses....soo the AEs are actually taped onto the lenses....which are exposed to the rocks and crap that fly up from cars infront of you....I know i've seen this somewhere...the pic you gave was the product installed on the lights of a new bmw...with the lights inside a housing..I think

Can someone confirm?

Nope, you just buy these "cup" lens covers that go over the headlights... they fit inside those.

Boggie1688
06-22-2004, 01:47 PM
WOW

Thats very interesting...soo basically the AEs cup over ur original lenses? and then u just wire it yourself? THATs pretty cool...