PDA

View Full Version : Just for grins: Anyone tried adding a digital ignition box to the M30?

Jeff N.
06-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Been reading Chris Jacobs half reference half propoganda book "The Doctor's Step-By-Step Guide to Optimizing your Ignition". Has some pretty good stuff on ignition theory etc.

Anyways, it's suggested that a computer ignition controller (analog or digital with CD) and a high quality coil would work well on our cars. In particular, it would allow you to open the plug gaps up and with the more intelligent, multifire sparking reduce the number of misfires.

Now, I've never seen much written one way or the other on Bosch ignitions and, in particular, the M30 unit. Anyone ever tried one of the better quality units (Mallory, MSD, Jacobs, etc) on our cars? Did you go the whole route and add a fat coil, dink with the plugs, put in the spiral coil wires, and open up the gaps?

Just curious...

Thx!

Jeff

Jeff N.
06-16-2004, 09:00 AM
bueller? bueller? anyone....bueller?

Derek A.
06-16-2004, 10:16 AM
I think that the BMW stock ignition is pretty robust. One would need to dramatically increase cylinder pressure to see the benefits of a CDI style ignition. One other factor to consider is that the RFI factor of the standard BMW ignition is pretty well contained. Moving to aftermarket parts can wreck havoc with other ignition components, radio obc etc.

My buddy runs one on his 455 Oldsmobile, but you are dealing with a substantially higher strung automobile.

http://www.hydroboost.com/multimedia/movies/movie_5.WMV