PDA

View Full Version : Power Windows

Incantation
06-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Hey guys,

Question: Is anyone able to roll up more than two windows simultaneously?

This happens with the sunroof as well.. when i have the roof auto-closing and roll one window the roof still closes.. but the instant i hit a second window to close the roof stops closing.

It's the same with windows.. i can't roll up more than 2 windows at a time. Is this an electronic problem? Or inherent in the window design?

Thanks for your help as always,

Craig
06-15-2004, 06:25 PM
I can't on mine either, I figured it must be a "feature" that was built in.

Phil M
06-15-2004, 11:29 PM
I noticed that when I auto roll my drivers window and try to roll any other window during the auto, then the auto drivers stops. Also I cant even roll the drivers window when the sunroof is moving, auto or not. Weird if this is default.

peks
06-15-2004, 11:50 PM
same here. real helpful feature.

Unregistered
06-16-2004, 12:11 AM
i think that feature is very crappy

probably the only gripe i have about the car

Jason
06-16-2004, 11:15 AM
they stop and start up again. I can open two windows simultaneously if i start them at the same time, but i can't start one while another is already in motion. same with the roof. I just chalked it up to 15 yr old electronics. Are the doors supposed to lock after 5-10 mph? I wonder about this cause my 91 M3 used to do that. i figure if it was on that car it would have to be on this one... anyone know?

AZ_Jason_S
06-16-2004, 01:37 PM
I'm gonna propose my 2 theorys. I think there is a "side effect" in whatever firmware controls the power windows/sunroof. (Assuming the windows are controlled by a microcontroller somewhere and the goofy behavior kind of indicates they are. )

Or.....

Maybe there is a current issue running more than 2 motors at one time? The motors might make a significant current draw, so they limit the motors to only 2 simultaneously. However, I have been in plenty of OTHER cars that would power 4 motors at once.

632 Regal
06-16-2004, 01:51 PM
I think the over power issue is the deal

bimmerd00d
06-16-2004, 03:53 PM
the motors use a lot of power, especially when used all at once. notice when you close it all with the key, the windows go up in a specific order, passenger side, driver side, sunroof. This was fixed on the E39, all go up at once.

Sweetwater
06-16-2004, 04:18 PM
I like to get really comfy and adjust multiple seats while my windows go up and down with my bright headlights and fog lights all lit. :p

535ise
06-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Are the doors supposed to lock after 5-10 mph? I wonder about this cause my 91 M3 used to do that. i figure if it was on that car it would have to be on this one... anyone know?

Did you have an alarm on it because you can get alarm's that do this,it's a sort of anti-hijack type thing i think ?

Incantation
06-17-2004, 01:17 AM
you mean to tell me your e34 powers up the windows when you lock with key? how? i have 1990 535i.. does it have that feature?

the motors use a lot of power, especially when used all at once. notice when you close it all with the key, the windows go up in a specific order, passenger side, driver side, sunroof. This was fixed on the E39, all go up at once.

Unregistered
06-17-2004, 04:23 AM
If the windows or sunroof are open and you lock the car, hold the key in the double lock position and after four or five seconds, they'll begin closing. I think I found this trick in the owner manual.

Paul

Jason
06-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Did you have an alarm on it because you can get alarm's that do this,it's a sort of anti-hijack type thing i think ?

Incantation
06-17-2004, 09:17 PM
If the windows or sunroof are open and you lock the car, hold the key in the double lock position and after four or five seconds, they'll begin closing. I think I found this trick in the owner manual.

Paul

nice.. gonna go do it a few times and let my neighbours say "oh.,. he's playing with his car AGAIN"