PDA

View Full Version : E34 tyre wear pattern

ktteoh
01-10-2011, 01:40 AM
folks, i mostly drive my car alone ie driver only and have checked my wheel alignment and the local shop says everything checks out against their computer database.

now my tyre wear patter is like this:
- both front tyres: more wear on the outer side treads
- both rear tyre: just slightly more wear on the inner side treads

is this about normal for a e34?

btw what is the factory spec for camber, toe in/out & caster for both front & rear wheel?

Tiger
01-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Caster is not adjustable and has nothing to do with tire wear.

Chamber is not adjustable unless you buy adjustable plates.

Toe In and out does affect the inner and outer wear of tires.

I suspect in your case is that your springs in the rear are sagging... causing inner tire wear. And because of the rear spring sagging, the front is 'lifted' up causing your outer tire wear. So by replacing your springs, it should solve that problem. If you got 100+K miles, it is time for new springs... not sure about your shocks at this point.

Paul in NZ
01-11-2011, 05:21 PM
my car has always worn the tyres like that....I swap from front to back on the same side to even the wear out a little.Do not swap diagonally,otheweise theoutside front becomes the inside rear,and will continue to wear unevenly.Swap them before they get too bad.

BMWCCA1
01-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Sounds perfectly normal to me, as long as you're talking about after many thousand miles of wear.

ktteoh
01-17-2011, 12:52 AM
folks, so after 3 replies, can i conclude that my wheel alignment is ok and that there is no rear spring sagging etc??

BigKriss
01-17-2011, 02:04 AM
tire wear seems normal to me.

Tiger
01-17-2011, 09:54 AM
What is the mileage on your car? What mileage period are you taling about for tire wear? 1000 miles?10,000 miles? 40,000 miles? How new is yoru tire?

Like I said, if it is wearing quite fast, then something is wrong.

ktteoh
01-17-2011, 05:46 PM
tiger, the current set's mileage probably ~20,000 miles since the last change - did not rotate them.