PDA

View Full Version : guibo nuts

ahlem
12-22-2010, 02:40 PM
In doing my shifter rebuild I noticed the guibo bolts all go in from the same direction. It's been like that for over 100k miles with some track time. There is no apparent adverse wear to the guibo. Do I change back to the specified alternating configuration or put it back in like this?

Dave M
12-22-2010, 09:23 PM
As you noticed in the other thread on shift linakges, mine were like that for many miles without issue (I've seen a number of others in the same state). It won't make a difference if you switch three of them. Oh, I don't believe the arrows on the guibo indicate bolt alignment.

Dave

ahlem
12-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Next question, That Wunder clip that holds the front of the shifter holding component that people have renamed a number of interesting names mostly with four letters, I am hoping to make a hook shaped tool to unclip it. I plan on grinding a blunt point on the end of a piece of metal rod then bend the rod into a tight U and strategically bend it to make it easier to catch the underside of the clip. I will then cut it and weld a tee section of rod on and then weld a 1/4x20 bolt to it. The 1/4x20 bolt will fit in my slide hammer if needed. This is the hardesty part of the project so far. Fortunately we have an extra car. If you had to do this project in an emergency it wouldn't be fun. If you took it to a garage to do it the labor would kill you. Think it will work?

Dave M
12-23-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't entirly follow your design, but if it allows you additional leverage in the right spot to more easily push the wunder clip upward, then by all means do it. It wasn't the hardest job I've done, but it can be a bit frustrating as its very difficult to see what the end of your tool is doing ;) You may end up damaging/destroying the clip, so its best to have a new one aroud for the rebuild.

Good luck and enjoy.

Dave

ahlem
12-25-2010, 10:13 AM
It may be a different transmission on the 535i? Access to the passenger side of the clip where the locking tab is located is almost non existent so I had to work from the top with a hook that I could twist to unclip the clip.