PDA

View Full Version : shifter rebuild one of top 5 PITA projects

ahlem
12-19-2010, 09:31 PM
I am rebuilding my shifter. The exhaust has been on for about 100k miles. I'm planning on reusing it so I'm being careful. The biggest offending component is the bushing where the selector shaft goes into the transmission. I can see where it is almost non existent. I can hardly get into reverse. I ordered the parts from Blunttech.

There used to be a write up on this on this site but it seems to have disappeared. Anyone have the link?

I'm guessing it will take about three evenings to do this. I broke one exhaust manifold stud and will have to drill out the stud remnants. We did the shifter rebuild on an e30 and it made a huge difference but didn't have to deal with the aging exhaust problem.

Dave M
12-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Old linkage rebuild thread (http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?1169-Shift-Linkage-Rebuild-DIY-LARGE)

Dave

ahlem
12-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks. That was what I was looking for.
Next question...
Your Guibo bolts are all going in the same direction. So are mine. I have no failure showing on my guibo after over 100k miles. Shouldn't they follow the direction of the arrows on the Guibo?

ahlem
01-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Wow what a difference before and after. Other than putting a 100K mile exhaust back on and dealing with rusty nuts It wasn't too bad since I had a loaner car and some warm worklights and extra band-aids and Christmas cookies. I can shift into reverse again and my short shifter shows what a short shifter is supposed to do.

Dave M
01-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Glad to hear it worked out.

Dave