PDA

View Full Version : Weird Transmission noise 89 535is

mtech2_touring
12-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Hi guys, I have been a member here for years, but unfortunately forgot my username & password! (it's been a while since posting!)
I wondered whether you guys may be able to shed some light on a weird noise that 'suddenly' appeared a couple of weeks back. Just as I pulled into our driveway it started making a rather loud 'whirring' type noise that appeared to be coming from the auto. I dropped it straight to my local mechanic who said that the tranny was on its way out, after finding some metal dust/rsidu when the pan was dropped (although it shifts perfectly). I have been doing as much research as possible before trying to get another auto shipped up here (remote area in Australia, probably worth more than the car to get one here!!), and then stumbled across this video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8NOhQR67h4
this seems to be the exact sound that I have at idle and in every gear (perhaps louder when in reverse). He claims that the noise went away after replacing an oil filter and vaccum hoses?
The car has around 300ks but this is its 2nd auto transmission. It's an 1989 535is. Has anyone had any similar type noises etc with their E34s? I did do a search and came up with nothing...

Sorry about the essay, Cheers in advance,
Nick

Grantus
12-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Why not replace the oil filter and vacuum hoses. It sounds lots cheaper than replacing the transmission.

mtech2_touring
12-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah I definately will prior to doing anything with the tranny, but just wondered if anyone else had come across anything similar