PDA

View Full Version : Best toe-in specs for handling?

Russell
12-01-2010, 12:23 AM
What are the best toe-in specs for handling?

I have a bit of wandering and suspect that the amount of toe-in will affect handling and stability. Currently my car was aligned on a Hunter Hawkeye system with a driver and full tank with weight in the car. No apparent uneven wear after 2 years with tire rotations. I will align the next time I replace tires unless there is a compeling need to do it sooner.
The toe was set within specs. It is my understanding that allowable toe is 0.11 to 0.19 per side with a total toe between .22 and .038. My car is set at .012 each site with a total toe of 0.24. As you can see mine is set at minimum toe. Good or Bad?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Paul in NZ
12-01-2010, 12:56 AM
"sports suspension settings has more toe in I think.It results in a slightly vaugue straight ahead but good turn in feel.My car has always worn the outside edges of the fronts

Ross
12-01-2010, 10:59 AM
" Wandering" could be suspension bushings, front or rear or improper caster. Toe in keeps the car from darting about with tiny wheel movements, perhaps a bit more if this what you describe.

Russell
12-02-2010, 09:42 AM
BTW, I have found that sightly higher rear tire pressure seems to reduce wandering effect soemwhat. for example i have a left rear wheel/tire that slowly loses tire pressure. If it gets down to 25 lbs the car wanders a lot more. A builit in tire pressure monitor! :)

All of this leads me to think that the wandering effect is from the rear "self steering". Perhaps my rear sub-frame beer cans/mounts may need replacing.

Russell
12-04-2010, 10:13 AM
New Information 12/4/2010

Dogbones have been replaced-not sub-frame mounts

I just put on my winter tires/wheels today (currently snowing) and measured remaining tread on my Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires and found that it appears my front tires are wearing slightly more on the inside edge since last rotated 12,080 miles ago.

It is my understanding that this type of toe-out will aggrivate wandering. Looks like a new alignment is in order after all. 29,000 and 2 years is long enough. http://images.bimmerforums.com/smilies/smile.gif

Last rotaion at 12,080 miles

LF 7.1-out edge, 7.0-in toe out?
RF 6.0-out edge, 6.5-in toe-out?
LR 7.0-out edge, 7.0-in evened out by last rotation?
RR 6.7-out edge, 6.7-in evened out by last rotation?"