PDA

View Full Version : Some advice please - suspension woes

sal_park
11-30-2010, 04:33 AM
Hi,

I've had my 525 for quite a while now (bought back in 2003) and have now replaced almost all of the suspension, all with OEM or Lemforder parts:

Jan 2007 - front anti-roll bar links
Sept 2008 - front ally control arms and front thrust arms (came with bushes already installed)
July 2009 - outer steering tierod ends/ball joints.
Oct 2009 - rear beercan bushes (Done by dealer)
Sep 2010 - rear dog bones
Oct 2010 - Thrust bushes (750i versions) & tracking done

As you can see I've replaced the thrust arm bushes twice - once in Sept 2008 and then again last month with 750 (green) ones. Unfortunately I got a garage to do it last month (all other work done by myself), and now a month after they've done it, the car is pretty much undriveable above 40 mph - hit a pothole and it suddenly lurches to the left or right.

I spoke to the garage and they are adamant that they tightened up the bush with the weight of the car on them (if you don't do this it rips the bush). I'm not 100% sure they did, but can't be sure. Anyway they suggested that 'some thing else' may be killing the bush (so to speak!)

Any idea's why this bush would have been killed so quickly ? thoughts ? I don't really want to replace the bush again only to have it fail ~ 1 month later, and I'm not really sure what to do.

sal

Tiger
11-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Busted thrust arm bushing would yield up down steering shakes... not car moving left right. Assuming your car will steer straight if you let go your steering wheel on straightway highway... then I'd say your alignment is probably ok.... they always say to do front end alignment after bushing job.

Assuming alignment is okay, next suspect is your tires.

whiskychaser
11-30-2010, 04:23 PM
I hear you got a few snow flakes so maybe not the time to be rolling around on the floor yourself:). Why not get an MOT tester to have a look? VOSA would be even better but you might not like what else they find:-)

BigKriss
11-30-2010, 10:16 PM
m5 thrust bushes last longer and are harder. the work by the shop does it have a warranty?

Paul in NZ
12-01-2010, 01:20 AM
I can assure you that if the job is done correctly E34 M5 bushes last for years