PDA

View Full Version : A4S Tranny - What Fluid?

Walk100
06-15-2004, 11:07 AM
I've never serviced my tranny since I've had my car (10K miles). I'm getting the service kit from BMA but I'm wondering if I should be buying redline or some other synth for the flush. It is the A4S (1993 525iT). The service manual says use Dextron II, but I'm hesitant to use the stuff from a FLAPS. I've seen a bunch of threads in the past about only using the dealers expensive fluids, but I think that was for a different tranny (530, 535). After all, the A4S tranny is a GM unit (standard fasteners on it!) it should be able to use straight 90 weight! :)

Also, is anyone using anything special in the rear diff? I was thinking redline GL-5...what does everyone else use.

-Phil
93 525iT

ryan roopnarine
06-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Any generic dextron III will work. I've personally stopped using the walmart bulk dex III (the $4.50 a gallon stuff) because my tranny seems to have developed a whine after i mixed the walmart stuff with name brand. you can use synthetic if you like.

I've never serviced my tranny since I've had my car (10K miles). I'm getting the service kit from BMA but I'm wondering if I should be buying redline or some other synth for the flush. It is the A4S (1993 525iT). The service manual says use Dextron II, but I'm hesitant to use the stuff from a FLAPS. I've seen a bunch of threads in the past about only using the dealers expensive fluids, but I think that was for a different tranny (530, 535). After all, the A4S tranny is a GM unit (standard fasteners on it!) it should be able to use straight 90 weight! :)

Also, is anyone using anything special in the rear diff? I was thinking redline GL-5...what does everyone else use.

-Phil
93 525iT