PDA

View Full Version : And I thought that changing the Alternator was a real PITA...

dauchande
11-27-2010, 02:20 AM
Just finished changing out the starter on my 540i.

Just wanted everyone to know that, yes, it can be done, even though it isn't at all fun.

I ended up removing the right transmission coolant line and pulling up and tying off the transmission electrical lines on the right side of the tranny/engine tunnel.

It definitely sucked having coolant pour onto my chest while I was trying to get the starter bolt off/on.

My best recommendation would be to put the E12 socket on the bolt first, then try to maneuver the extensions into the socket as it didn't work so well doing it the other way. I used a 3/8"s ujoint and a 5" and 8" extensions end to end.

The transmission mounts still win for least amount of room to maneuver a socket, but not by much.

Tiger
11-27-2010, 10:24 AM
I did this just recently... what we ended up doing is removing the OBD diagnostic port to have access fromt he top to slip on the socket. Now that I got the intake out... removing the coolant resercoir would give you all the room to remove the upper bolt.

Mr._Graybeard
11-28-2010, 01:00 AM
Just finished changing out the starter on my 540i.

Just wanted everyone to know that, yes, it can be done, even though it isn't at all fun.

I ended up removing the right transmission coolant line and pulling up and tying off the transmission electrical lines on the right side of the tranny/engine tunnel.

It definitely sucked having coolant pour onto my chest while I was trying to get the starter bolt off/on.

My best recommendation would be to put the E12 socket on the bolt first, then try to maneuver the extensions into the socket as it didn't work so well doing it the other way. I used a 3/8"s ujoint and a 5" and 8" extensions end to end.

The transmission mounts still win for least amount of room to maneuver a socket, but not by much.

Dude, you're fortunate if the coolant line came off without taking the threads from the cooler nipple with it. Galvanic corrosion is a bitch.

632 Regal
11-28-2010, 02:14 AM
weird, I just finagled mine through the bottom and replaced the thing. Not much different between the 530 and 540 is there? NO WAIT I LIED. Looking back I had to pull mine from the top, no way to get it from below without major disassembly. Took the shroud and fan out and got it through there, took a while tho.

dauchande
11-29-2010, 01:26 AM
Dude, you're fortunate if the coolant line came off without taking the threads from the cooler nipple with it. Galvanic corrosion is a bitch.

Luckily (or not) for me, I had previously replaced both hoses in a quest to remove all coolant leaks, so removing it wasnt a problem, getting coolant in the face was :(

dauchande
11-29-2010, 01:28 AM
I did this just recently... what we ended up doing is removing the OBD diagnostic port to have access fromt he top to slip on the socket. Now that I got the intake out... removing the coolant resercoir would give you all the room to remove the upper bolt.

Huh, didn't think to try that, everything I read pointed to doing it from the underside of the car. Hopefully I'll never have to find out if that works ;)

dauchande
11-29-2010, 01:32 AM
weird, I just finagled mine through the bottom and replaced the thing. Not much different between the 530 and 540 is there? NO WAIT I LIED. Looking back I had to pull mine from the top, no way to get it from below without major disassembly. Took the shroud and fan out and got it through there, took a while tho.

I almost considered removing the exhaust manifold on that side, almost. But I figured if I became that desperate, I'd just tow it to my mechanic and let him scream and curse his way to fixing it...

I ended up having to do this one time after spending 3 days trying to get one of the bolts off of my steering plates and finally gave up and shipped it off to the mechanic. Working with these cars, it *always* seems to be 1 bolt that causes me grief, everything comes off easy and fine.

yaofeng
11-30-2010, 09:23 AM
What is it? Removing the starter or the alternator? Having done both a number of times during the 6 speed conversion neither is difficult at all. Of course experience counts.

For the starter, you just need a couple of wiggling extensions. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, the starter drops off. It is pretty straight forward.

The M60 alternator is a little trickier, but not terribly hard either. Remove the power steering pump pulley. The alternator drops off to the ground.

Like I said, experience counts.

Tiger
11-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the tip on the alternator... power steering pulley trick.

shogun
12-08-2010, 07:05 AM
you are lucky that you never have to work on the M70 V12 engine. For a DIYer:
Alternator out/in =4-5 hours
starter motor: last time we even had to remove the trans as one bolt broke off from the starter motor. Time=1 day 3-4 guys with pit and all the gimmicks for a good DIY garage