PDA

View Full Version : Clunk Clunk Clunk...gets old after a while! =X

BMW4LIFE
11-17-2010, 05:36 PM
So I was out and about and noticed that the front (especially right corner) of my car would clunk over every little bump on the road...and I mean EVERY!

Unless the road is like glass, I hear this dang clunk all over

I have changed the from sway bars (which I thought would be the cause) but no relief

I was thinking maybe something with the struts? like that foam piece that is suppose to go in could corroded?

Any help?

Thanks!

Jehu
11-17-2010, 11:45 PM
The sway bar links should be replaced..

BMW4LIFE
11-18-2010, 12:21 AM
So as I stated above...

I have just recently replaced the sway bar link with brand new lemforders

so that can not be the problem!

Jehu
11-18-2010, 12:26 AM
lol.. sorry I need to get some sleep..

BigKriss
11-18-2010, 05:54 AM
okay, the balljoints on the upper and lower control arms, are they torn or look intact?

ScottyWM
11-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't think that foam piece matters. But how about the strut mounts? I don't know about the fronts, but the rears can wear out and become loose.

Mr._Graybeard
11-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Yes, a bad mount can generate a lot of clunking. You can often feel the strut assembly binding up while cramping the wheels at low, low speed, like maneuvering in a parking lot.

The cap holding the strut insert in place may have loosened up as well. I don't think a missing bump stop would produce the kind of noise you're describing. Sure does sound like it would be in the strut assembly, though. You're not feeling any shimmy or looseness in the steering, are you?

mikell
11-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Did you check the tie rods? If the ball joints are loose, it could give that symptom.

632 Regal
11-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Need to check the sway bar links. Yes I read that you replaced them but your issue leads right to them. They are pretty hard to check with only 1 person and much easier on a lift. The ball joints will clunk when going very slow and jabbing the brakes but not usually on bumps.

Edit: Check the swaybar link bolts! I had 2 of them loosen up on me. So hard to get them tight enough on the strut bracket.

BMW4LIFE
11-18-2010, 09:36 PM
No worries! =)

BMW4LIFE
11-18-2010, 09:37 PM
From what I saw when I changed my oil last everything seemed pretty much intact...I will have to go under the car again and see...

I'll try to take some pic being that I am sure you guys will see things that I will miss

BMW4LIFE
11-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Where are these mounts? Can I see them from above or under? I always thought it was the bump stops being that when I changed (had them changed) I never bought the stops and just gave him the struts to replace

BMW4LIFE
11-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Can you please elaborate "cramping" please?

I have recently felt a shimmy at 50-60 mph during breaking but I think that relates more to my thrust arms than the clunking...then again can they produce clunking? Can them going bad cause accelerated brake warp-age? The steering seems to be sound

BMW4LIFE
11-18-2010, 09:42 PM
I glanced at them...I will go back and see if maybe they might have came loose!

I hope not! The bushings and rods still seem brand new!

Robin-535im
11-19-2010, 03:36 AM
Yeah - what Jeff said... Whenever I do mine (and they only last a year it seems!) I have to REALLY crank them down or else they still clunk. The symptom is like you say - it's really sensitive to the tiniest little crack in the road, and VERY annoying.

Mr._Graybeard
11-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Can you please elaborate "cramping" please?

I have recently felt a shimmy at 50-60 mph during breaking but I think that relates more to my thrust arms than the clunking...then again can they produce clunking? Can them going bad cause accelerated brake warp-age? The steering seems to be sound

Cramping is when you turn your wheels way to the right or left, like when parallel parking. A bad strut bearing will often show up then because it can't rotate as freely as it should.

Good tip from Regal on loosened sway bar link bolts. Worth double checking, and the easiest possible fix.

KT535
12-10-2010, 06:40 PM
BMW4LIFE: so what was your fix?
My '90 535 starting doing the exact same thing. The dome reflectors separating lanes is an ideal example. Slow speeds of 10-30mph cause this clunk which sounds like a bushing in a ball-joint gone bad. Mine seems to happen only on the right front. Very annoying. Also did thrust arms and upper control rod a few years back. Sounds like it could be a loose strut too.
Did the sway bar link bolt tightening do the trick? thx

genphreak
12-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Heh, looks like everyone knows that swaybar links need to be (very) carefully tightened... LOL!

632 Regal
12-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Heh, looks like everyone knows that swaybar links need to be (very) carefully tightened... LOL!

They are seriously a biatch to torque (impossible) I think they came up with a number based on the thread size and diameter, not real world functions. Was almost tempted to glue a weld ball to the thing after it kept getting loose.

Mr._Graybeard
12-12-2010, 02:24 AM

Ja, wie sprechen frrom experrience...