PDA

View Full Version : differential leak

edward
11-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Hey Guys,

My differential gasket on the rear cover is leaking. Can that be replaced without dropping the diff. out. Also, kudos to all who posted about the steering box adjustment and the big nut under the steering column. Steering has not felt that good in years.

Thanks,

Edward

genphreak
11-17-2010, 12:54 AM
Yep, you just need to undo the cover and replace the gasket. Check it is not the speed sensor leaking on the RHS of the cover, and is not the more likely output flange seals or boots either. Of course it is very hard to get to all the bolts, you will need a good sleection of hex tools. They are German + many years tight, esp. if you have salt on your roads. Expect to have to move the diff up and down some (You will need plenty of jacks), but best to get under there and check with your own eyes and sense than rely on what any f00l in a forum says!

632 Regal
11-17-2010, 01:48 AM
FVcing make sure you can undue the refill plug before taking this apart!

Jehu
11-17-2010, 02:11 AM
Every mechanic shop including the BMW dealership has told me yes indeed the rear subframe needs to be dropped to remove the rear diff cover. I was told this just yesterday when I had the car in at a BMW dealership having the brake fluid purged and refilled since I too have a leak...

Have those saying you just reach up and unbolt without dropping the rear end ever actually done it?