PDA

View Full Version : Central Locking trouble

BennyM
11-11-2010, 12:01 AM
For the last couple weeks, if I lock the car, it will immediately unlock itself. Then if I lock it again, it will lock and stay locked like it should. So, every time, whether I use the key or the FOB, I have to tell it to lock twice. I noticed that turning the key at the trunk lock or at the passenger door lock will not cause any other part of the car to lock. I know I used to be able to lock the whole car from the trunk, but don't remember if the front passenger door ever did that. Keep in mind this is a 1995 model with factory alarm, so it doesn't behave quite like the '93 and older locking systems.

I checked and repaired the trunk wiring. No difference. I have a new trunk lock actuator on the way and will report back soon on that, but I'm wondering if this sounds like a wiring issue to anyone or a low battery issue.

Thanks in advance.

Jehu
11-11-2010, 12:17 AM
You want to hear something funny? Recently this happened in mine. I found that the plastic locking button which screws onto the metal rod coming up through the door panel for some reason was providing just enough Resistance most likely due to the metal rod getting bent somehow that simply unscrewing it and removing it resolved this issue.. I have left it off till I can get the door panel off and restore the lock rod to a more accommodating orientation.

Something is providing some resistance in the locking system.. It may be a defective actuator.

shogun
11-11-2010, 04:17 AM
yes, I had the same, the small plastic bush on the rod inside was broken which holds the rod.
Also a possibility: microswitches inside. Good repair for that is on Johan and Sean's site, link on my website below under other diy links

BennyM
11-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, it's not the door button cylinder things. I'm still waiting on a new trunk actuator, but can those of you with '95 models tell me if using the key in the passenger door is supposed to tell all other doors to lock/unlock? Mine doesn't.

Jehu
11-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Yes, it should lock all the doors, trunk and fuel door.

Did you check the Wire Loom in the Trunk Arm to see that the wires for the Trunk Actuator are not broken?

Russell
11-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Make sure the lock mechanisim, especially where you insert the key, works smoothly and is clean on both front doors. That fixed mine. I thought it was the right front door actuator. Nope.

6670charger
05-23-2011, 12:57 AM
I'll have to try this. I replaced my 92 driver's door yesterday with one from an 89 model. Same color door, in better condition and has all the same features (central locking, power windows, etc). Everything works fine except for the lock. The door itself will not lock and will not unlock the car at the door. It will lock the car.

I'll have to try the push knob. If that doesn't work, then it must be in the electronics somewhere. I'd like to swap the door latch mechanism and lock out of my old door into this one so I don't have to use two keys. Just couldn't figure out how to remove them.

shogun
05-23-2011, 04:52 AM
key locks you can modify to fit one key
go to my website>>links & lots of DIY>>>other diy sites>>>Jon Evans>>door lock barrel

6670charger
05-23-2011, 05:44 AM
AHH!! Did not know that. Probably a much easier solution than trying to swap the outer door handles from what I saw the other day.

On the downside, I just checked the lock knob idea, and that isn't it. The lock rod is stuck itself. I'll have to tear the door apart again and check out the rod to see where it's stuck. Hopefully it isn't the lock mechanism itself. Didn't look like that would be easy or fun to change when I had the door apart. The upside is that this door is in much better shape structurally than the one it replaced. Just having lock issues.